Calcium Chloride from a pool shop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizoune

Reaction score
I was having a really hard time finding some calcium chloride to add to my brewing water. I ended buying a product called “Calcium Hardness” from a pool shop. The side sticker says “Contains calcium chloride” and the chemical product data sheet indicates that it contains between 95 and 100% CaCl2.

Can anybody confirm that this is exactly what other brewers are buying at their LHBS? I don’t feel like taking a chance with this.

My LHBS sells a pound of CaCl for $3.50 (from ID Carlson). At that price, I wouldn't risk something that is not marketed for food grade use.

Reading my comment above, I guess the implication is that there is a price at which I would take a chance with my health .... well, maybe.

Here is the thing, it very well could be the same stuff for food grade use just cheaper due to labeling. What's more, have you ever tried to find a MSDS from LD Carlson for their water salts? Last time I looked it didn't exist. So, how can you be sure what they are peddling is labelled food grade.

It's a tough call to make. Ideally, you want assurance that you are using a food grade purity product. Reality is, in my experience, the product doesn;t change but the label does. Example, I buy my salts froma chemical supply that specializes in water treatment. serves municipal labs and pool companies specifically. i bought a few products from them and they always include the MSDS for the products. A few were not listed as Food Grade on the MSDS. When I asked, they gave me a different MSDS. Nothing between the two was different other than one listed it is food grade and gave the appropriate case number.

But as my wife the attorney always tells me, it's all about "who you can sue". A pool supply shop can make a reasonable argument that their chemicals are not meant to be consumed. But a manufacturer like ID Carlson would have a hard time proving that a chemical they sell that is intended to treat water that ultimately ends up in a consumable product, should be considered anything other than food grade (or at least fit for consumption)

But as my wife the attorney always tells me, it's all about "who you can sue". A pool supply shop can make a reasonable argument that their chemicals are not meant to be consumed. But a manufacturer like ID Carlson would have a hard time proving that a chemical they sell that is intended to treat water that ultimately ends up in a consumable product, should be considered anything other than food grade (or at least fit for consumption)

FTR, LD Carlson is not a manufacturer. They are a wholesaler. I guarantee you they buy their salts bulk and repackage them with their own label.

I cant tell you to use it (although it may be the same stuff at 1/10th the price). But I can tell you there are differences in quality. Some stuff I wont even put in a swimming pool, lots of rust in the buttom of the bucket when disolved.

For POOL info only, in my experience, if it is from China or Finland its good. If its from Mexico bad.

Disolve it in water first. It disolves quickly and easily, producing heat and hydrgen gas. When it clears, pour it in , leaving any sediment behind. It is literally dirt, rust, and bird sh uh, stuff.

Food grade stuff has to be made in a food grade approved plant with a lot stringer controls on contaiination and stuff, The food grade plant I know require a full decon shower to enter and you can't take your work boots inside - they give you a special set of boots to wear inside. Basically you "could" have trace amounts of other chemicals that the manufacturer makes on the same site in that stuff you got. It's you health you are risking.

I guarantee you can get some from a homebrew shop. LD Carlson and B Crosby both distribute it. It's cheap as hell. Or you can order some from an online supplier.

Back