Want to buy first home brew kit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colewoman

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to buy a home brewing kit for my boyfriend for Christmas, but I am totally overwhelmed by all the options!!

We have never brewed our own before, so does anyone have a suggestion about the best online site or a good starter kit?

Thanks so much! :mug:

Beer 4 Breakfast, just about said it all. I started with the deluxe kit from Northern Brewer and as B4B said it's a dandy kit for the beginning and intermediate brewer. If you buy the beginning kit you will out grow it very fast. but you can do a lot more with the deluxe kit.:mug:

rdwj said:
Midwest has some nice kits for beginners I'd get the Intermediate Kit - it will keep you going for a while.

You may as well pick up a kit while you're at it.

I started with the exact same kit plus a 22qt pot from WalMart, an Auto Siphon, and a long plastic spoon. It served me well.

The thing is that if you really get into it, you're going to outgrow a lot of equipment in a short time. So, I say start basic and at a price-point you're comfortable with. If the bug bites you, go from there. If it doesn't, you're not out a whole lot. I brewed some damn good beer with my basic stuff if i do say so myself. :)

Best of luck!

Go to www.morebeer.com and buy him a beer sculpture. . . .He'll love you for at least 10 years. :D

Here's one for an example. . . :drunk:
3548-Brewdeckandbrewsculpture.JPG

Almost any of the "bucket" type starter kits are enough to get him started. Expect to pay $75-$125 for that. As you might have noticed, the one thing not included in those kits is a kettle large enough for brewing. 16 quarts is sufficient for starting out, but I'd really recommend 30 quarts or larger.

Be prepared for him to get extremely excited about brewing - he'll likely want to spend a ton of cash on gadgets, ingredients, and toys. I say, let him!

Thank you for being one of the coolest gals around! My girl is very supportive, thankfully...and she doesn't even like beer!

You must be the best G/F ever! Um, you got a sister?:D Actually, my wife bought me my beginner's kit for X-mas years ago, too. I'd venture to guess that that's how quite a few of us got started.

Wow! You are all amazing. I really appreciate the advice. I'm going to look up all the suggestions and will be sure to keep reading any new posts here.

Of course I will let you know what I choose in the end!

Bottoms up!

: )

I believe I'm going to go with the Austin Home Brew Kit with the glass option.
The only part I'm still undecided about is the stock pot. I have a feeling it's a matter of me not knowing/understanding the brewing process.

Thus, in relation to the stock pot my new question are:
Do you always have to brew several cases of beer at a time? Is that why it is best to have a 30 Quart+ stock pot? Do the ingredient kits require that large of a batch? If you don't have a large enough pot, does it take longer to brew b/c you have to do it in shifts b/c everything doesn't fit in the pot?

I apologize for the naivety of the questions, but I'm hoping it will help me to make the wisest choice for the budget! I don't want to stifle his beer brewing, but I want to afford it! :confused:

Most 'kits' are 5gal batches which will end up being about 2 cases of 12oz bottles.

As long as you can boil at least 2.5 gal of water/ingredients comfortably, you can do it. Eventually, however, you'll want to be boiling 4 or 5 gallons at a time.

Get a good big pot if at all possible. He'll thank you for it later, otherwise when you have to brew bigger batches you have to buy ANOTHER pot.

Besides, if you ever want to cook a big ass pot of spaghetti for 12 people, at least you'll have a pot.

colewoman said:
I apologize for the naivety of the questions, but I'm hoping it will help me to make the wisest choice for the budget! I don't want to stifle his beer brewing, but I want to afford it! :confused:

No problems.....you won't get any guff here. This is a friendly place! And you're taking the right approach. The only word of caution I might throw out is that if he really likes brewing, be prepared for him to gain about 20lbs and spend a crapload of $$ on beer for "research" purposes.

I'm sure b4b's last post should answer your questions, it being so long and all. I couldn't finish it. :D

I can't tell you how excited I was to find this site! I'm also planning on buying my boyfriend a starter kit for Christmas. I think I'm going to take beer4breakfast's advice on the AHS kit; however, I did have one question. We live in a 1.5 bedroom apartment without much extra space. How much room does all of this take up? Not that I'm opposed to a 'Beer Area', but we'll need space for all of our friends to come over and enjoy the output!

Charlie'sGirl said:
I can't tell you how excited I was to find this site! I'm also planning on buying my boyfriend a starter kit for Christmas. I think I'm going to take beer4breakfast's advice on the AHS kit; however, I did have one question. We live in a 1.5 bedroom apartment without much extra space. How much room does all of this take up? Not that I'm opposed to a 'Beer Area', but we'll need space for all of our friends to come over and enjoy the output!

Not much - most of it condenses down pretty good when you're not using it. Glass carboys are the exception - but as long as they're full, they're no worse than buckets. If you can spare a closet, you're golden. If not, the bottom half will do, but you need to make sure to use blow-off tubes to avoid ruining clothes

My wife bought me the 5 Gal kit a few years back. It included two 7 Gal buckets, airlock, stopper, hydrometer with cylinder, racking cane, hose, bottling cane, bottle capper, 50 caps and a homebrewing book (by William Moore).

Things I bought after my first attempt were a spigot (I cut a hole in the side near the bottom of one of the buckets to make bottling easier), a glass carboy (for secondary).

I hope to be getting for Christmas (I dropped a hint with the wife), a bottle wash/drying rack and a wort chiller.

Good luck!

I love reading this stuff!

Hello ladies. :cool: Hehe.

I'm new as well, but have been researching this extensively for a few months. As a very experienced total newb, I think I'm in a pretty good position for some things...

I can't go against any of the above advice, it is all good and makes a lot of sense. What I wanted to add is this: It's possible (though perhaps not advisable) to assemble all of the equipment for about $50 by scrounging around. Once you understand the process, you will understand the parts you need to accomplish your goal. So, piece of equipment, by piece of equipment, here's what's going on.

Well, we learned in science class, alcohol comes from fermented sugar. Grapes have sugar (wine), apples have sugar (hard cider), and malt has sugar (beer). What is malt? Well, when grain is growing, it needs energy. Energy comes from sugar. So grains have a way of producing their own sugar. Basically, they break down enzymes and stuff into sugar within themselves to energize their growth spurt. The key to utilizing this energy is to trick the grain into producing sugars, and then drying it out. Voila! Sugar (malt) inside a piece of barley. You can buy this malted grain in a store and get it out yourself through the use of a grain mill, and water and heat and straining, but you can also buy the sugars pre-extracted. This is called "Malt Extract" and comes in two forms: Liquid (LME) and dried (DME). That's the sugar (and much of the taste). So you need to buy some extract. And you of course need some yeast. And you need water. Hops are also necessary for beer- they add flavor. They are the thing that gives beer its bitterness and quantitied vary depending on the recipe. So you make it easy on yourself and just like any other cooking, you find a simple recipe and just buy all the ingredients on the list.

So you need: Malt extract, yeast, hops, and water.

Now you need to make something with the ingredients. You're going to boil it and cook it at somewhat precise temps. But boiling a lot of liquid isn't all that easy on most home stoves. So you MIGHT consider using a propane burner, like the type you use for frying turkeys (on sale now, after thanksgiving). You might just decide to use smaller quantities of water and a smaller pot. That's a fine way of beginning, but there are advantages to a full wort boil, so maybe just start out that way? It's up to you.

So you need: A large kettle (brewkettle aka stockpot), a heat source (propane or your own stove), a looong spoon, and a thermometer.

Now, you've diluted the malt/sugar, added the hops, and it's nice and hot. Uh oh! Problem! Warm liquids are a breeding ground for bacteria! The only way to save it is to add something to prevent infection. Yeast! Yeast will fight bacteria and also create alcohol which will inhibit bacteria. But yeast can't tolerate high temperature, so you've got to cool down the wort first.

So you will need: your thermometer, and either a big tub full of cold water (maybe with ice), or a "wort chiller" which is just a coil of copper tubing that you run cold water through inside the brewkettle- it's the opposite of baseboard water heating

Then you need to get the wort into a container for storage and fermentation. This is called a "carboy" or sometimes you just use a food grade bucket with a sealable lid. I should mention that you can NOT put HOT liquid into the carboy- no hot water rinse. It can shatter. Anyway, down to temp, you transfer it into the carboy/bucket and throw in the yeast. But in order to multiply, the yeast needs oxygen, so you need to "aerate" the wort. This can be done by simply agitating the carboy. Be careful though! A broken carboy is a HUGE mess.

So you need: A fermenter (carboy or bucket), and a siphon hose to get the wort from the kettle to the fermenter.

But now air is getting into the fermenter and air can add nasties. Also, yeast is a weird thing that goes through life cycles. In the first stage, it's reproducing. In the NEXT stage, it's letting off CO2 and alcohol. How do you get the yeast to go into that stage? By cutting off its oxygen supply. So you need to cap the fermenter. however, you don't want an explosion, so you need to be sure that CO2 can escape without letting air back in.

So you need: An airlock and, perhaps, a blow off tube.

Then the beer sits for awhile and becomes alcoholic. But then you think to yourself: How do I know when it's done? How do I know how much alcohol is in this? To figure that out, you need a hydrometer. The hydrometer is a little device like a thermometer that measures how much non-water is inside a liquid. The more sugar in the water, the higher the reading. So you measure the "specific gravity" of the beer, relative to the specific gravity of water (which is 1.000) and this will give you a feel for when you are done fermenting. Of course, you really want a comparative reading, so you also remembered to check the gravity of the cooled wort before you added the yeast.

So you need: a hydrometer, a tube to hold some beer when you stick the hydrometer in, and a way to get the beer from the fermenter- a ladel works, but a wine thief is fancier and less likely to allow organisms into your brew.

Then, you siphon the beer out of the fermenter and into another bucket. You have beer now, but it's not carbonated. So you add some priming corn sugar and water (oftentimes DME is used in the place of corn sugar) and you mix it in a bucket so the solution is equally distributed between the entire batch of beer. Once mixed, you put it in bottles, and let it sit at room temperature for a week, until the beer has naturally carbonated- this is the same thing that was happening in the fermenter, but once bottled, the CO2 will have nowhere to go, so it will be infused into the beer itself.

So you need: another bucket, some priming sugar or extra DME, bottles, bottle caps, a bottle cap capper.

Finally, the last thing you need is patience. If all goes well, after a week or two of "bottle-conditioning" (carbonation), you will have BEER. :ban:

You know, it's funny. I feel like I just gave a "birds and the bees" talk. The sexiest thing in the world, rendered completely unsexy by a long and boring discussion involving science and stuff. :eek:

One more thing.... (There's always one more thing)

Be sure to get a good book on brewing. As overwhelming as the gift buying can be to actually have to stare down those ingredients and the seemingly cryptic instructions is even more daunting.

These two books will give him a ton of information and a quick overview of the process so that he can get that first batch under his belt.
How to Brew by John Palmer (which is an updated version of the excellent online book, www.howtobrew.com , which someone already posted for you)
The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian (which is the seminal work for the current American homebrewing revival)

As others have also mentioned, pointing him here wouldn't hurt either.

I found this brew kit:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/240151209.html

and this turkey fryer on Craig's list....

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/hsh/236640712.html

All i would need to do is buy an ingredient kit.....would this be a good deal? I'm a bit hesitant about the brew kit b/c when I compaired it to the one on the Austin site it seemed not to have the same amount of equiptment....and till i added in the extras i'm thinking the deluxe kit from Austin is still best.... decisions, decisions!

:drunk:

colewoman said:
I found this brew kit:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/240151209.html

and this turkey fryer on Craig's list....

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/hsh/236640712.html

All i would need to do is buy an ingredient kit.....would this be a good deal? I'm a bit hesitant about the brew kit b/c when I compaired it to the one on the Austin site it seemed not to have the same amount of equiptment....and till i added in the extras i'm thinking the deluxe kit from Austin is still best.... decisions, decisions!

:drunk:

Well, that's a good price for all that. In looking at the brew kit, though, I would still have to add a 7.5 gallon primary because 5 gallons just isn't big enough. You'll end up with about 5.25 gallons of wort in primary and it'll need some headspace because of fermentation. I like to secondary in glass, but you certainly could use the 5 gallon plastic for that. The other thing I'd add is a plastic spigot to one of the plastic buckets, and you'd have to drill a hole for that. Otherwise, I'd go with a regular bottling bucket. You don't really need 3 plastic 5 gallon pales- you need a 7.5 or 6.5 gallon one, a bottling bucket, and one secondary fermentor. Otherwise all that other equipment looks good.

I'd probably go ahead and spend the extra money and just get the kit from AHS, and get the ingredient kit from them as well.

I don't have a turkey fryer, so I don't have any imput on that. I am still using my kitchen stove.

Lorena

I have a very similar turkey fryer and I would probably hold out for a 4 legged fryer rather than the 3 legged one next time. I can't really tell how large the fryer base is either but I know mine is a little bit small to go up to a larger kettle in the future. When I step up to the next level in brewing (same size batches just using raw ingredients instead of prepared malt extract) I will have to be very picky about the kettle I buy or also get a new, more stable fryer platform.

I've been poking around a bit looking at kits and find myself in a bit of a different situation.

I have a converted keg to boil in, I have 2 buckets to primary/bottle in and a carboy, but I don't have any of the other little stuff.

I've checked out most of the sites I know of looking for kits that don't come with the bulky stuff and have come up empty. Am I out of luck?

Are there such things as accessory kits out there?

If not, what are the essentials I'd need before starting?

If you have a local shop, just go in and ask for assistance. I've never seen the accessory pack like you are describing, but most of those other little things are available from $0.50-10.00 each and are readily available. My LHBS stores this all near the counter so that they're easy to just pick up and go.

Heck, if you call them in advance they would probably go around and pick up 1 of everything you need for you.

I'm a new brewer, but here's what I think you'll need:

1x Bottle Brush for cleaning the carboy and bottles. Get one made of good metal that is flexible AND will retain the shape you bend it into. This is important for cleaning the neck of the carboy
1x Thermometer
1x Hydrometer + Beaker (my hydrometer comes in a plastic case that works fine as a beaker)
1x Sanitizer - can't ever have enough of it!!
1x Carboy stopper (to put the airlock in your carboy)
2-3x Airlocks - 1 for each bucket and 1 for the carboy, so you can feasibly have 3 brews going at once!
1x - Racking cane
20-25' of 3/8" hose, cut to length as needed for racking from bucket to carboy back to bottling bucket
1x bottle filling wand - to fill the bottles. get one with a SPRING tip. My starter kit came with a gravity tip and I ended up spilling a good quart or two of beer on my kitchen floor
1x bottle capper - to cap them bottles
1# of caps
1x good LONG striring spoon
1x turkey baster - handy for pulling out samples for the hydrometer/tasting, also useful in helping to sanitize odd tools by just spraying sanitizer from the baster
1x Hose clamp - to be able to slow/stop the flow of the hose

So the decision is finally made (I had exams until last week so It took me a while to get some free time).

I'm going with the Delux AHS Kit with a glass upgrade and the American Honey Wheat from the same place. I found an inexpensive turkey fryer on craig's list to round out the supplies.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I'm sure you'll see my bf on here before long!

:mug:

Awesome!! Congrats to you both.....he'll be a happy camper. Make sure and give him a proper intro here....we'll help him make some beer.

colewoman said:
So the decision is finally made (I had exams until last week so It took me a while to get some free time).

I'm going with the Delux AHS Kit with a glass upgrade and the American Honey Wheat from the same place. I found an inexpensive turkey fryer on craig's list to round out the supplies.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I'm sure you'll see my bf on here before long!

Now THAT'S the Christmas Spirit! :rockin:

And give it a try yourself! Don't let him have all the fun!

Ize

Latest posts

Back