Converting Sanke to Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rono73

Reaction score
Hey all, I just scored a keg from my local loquor store ($30!), and I want to convert it to a fermenter for 10 gallon batches. I've searchd these forums, and cannot find a post that describes how to remove the ball valve and stem from inside. Help!

Also, to start with, I'm not doing anything fancy with this fermenter, just using it as a great big primary. I just need to get that damn stem out first. Today's my birthday, so please, make my day. Thanks.

I have the brewershardware fermenter.....VERY NICE PRODUCT! I have used it for 50 gallons so far and am ready to order another so I can make 20 gallon batches.

Pay the extra oney and get the thermowell, I didnt think I needed it....until I used it

I use mine without any special hardware, just like big carboys. A normal racking cane works fine.

Clamper,

The unit is easy to use. It comes with a stationary tube, an seperate 90* section (6" tall), a thermowell, a long racking cane with two silicone o rings, the tri clover clamp with a large silicone oring for sealing to the the sanke neck, a rubber cap and the thermowell.

Once I have chilled my wort and it goes into the sanke, I utilize the 6" section with the orings in the compression fitting. I have permantley attached a long section of hose to this...this is my blow off tube that goes into a bucket during fermentation. I use the rubber cap and a ziptie to cap the straight stationary tube that is welded to the cap. I leave my stuff in the keg 21 days.

To Rack:

I remove the small 6" section, take off the orings, cap and transfer them onto the long racking cane. I attach a section of air tubing to my C02 cylinder, set it at 10psi and attach the air to the short/stationary tube (the one with the rubber plug/zip tie). I bought a plastic shut off valve that sits in the middle of the racking cane liquid transfer tubing. I pump a few seconds of air into the sanke and begin the siphon....you do not have to leave the C02 on....the siphon begins you turn it off.

I use a valve since I use cornies and make 10 gallon batches, I need a way to turn the flow off. I talked to Darren (owner) this is the way he uses them so dont worry about blowing up the keg.

It took me a few batches to perfect transfers but once I got it down it works PERFECT!

I'm looking at this thing, but it says not to use it under pressure, so how do you rack out of it? I would think the best way is to push with CO2 but would that be "against recommendations"?

Where does it say to not use it under pressure? Kegs have 15psi put through them all the time, and they're good for substantially more than that. You only need a couple PSI to push the beer out anyway. I think any sort of pressure warning would mean for fermentation.

I'm looking at this thing, but it says not to use it under pressure, so how do you rack out of it? I would think the best way is to push with CO2 but would that be "against recommendations"?

I regularly ferment and push at ~12 PSI using Derrin's rig (Brewers hardware). I've tested it at 20 PSI with no issues, though I wouldn't go beyond that.

The failure point will be at the adjustable flare fitting, which will launch the racking cane like a rocket given sufficient pressure. :eek: :D

Good to hear! Now I have to figure out if I want to continue with the Sanke keg & get this rig or get a 15g HDPE container with a Better Bottle racking adapter... decisions decisions...

I just got a few sankes and used orange carboy caps I had sitting around to ferment in. I started off with a tube over the smaller "pipe" on the carboy cap to use as a blow off tube. Then put an airlock after a few days in the other hole after a few days. It was a cheap easy way to get 10 gallons started.

I am not sure if I will go with a pressurized fermentation technique or not in the future. If not I will probably buy a Brewers Hardware fermenter thing to get the thermowell.

Back