Get ready for the rebirth of cider in America.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darn - it was facebook. I was wanting to give Old Time Cider (Dave) credit...

He posted, "They misspell Aspall (Aspinall) but some great words about craft cider and it's potential in resaurants from the National Restaurant News: http://www.nrn.com/Article.aspx?id=378410"

Let me know if that link doesn't work for you still.

GF - here's a listing of some Montana orchards. Dont know if any are near you
http://www.allaboutapples.com/orchard/mt.htm

Thanks for the link Kevin, I'll have to give a couple of those orchards a call & see if they have any true cider apples. I talked with a couple of orchards down in Hamilton about true cider apples, even mentioned a few varieties & they had no clue as to what I was talking about. Unless I get lucky, I think I'm going to have to source cider apple juices from WA orchards. Regards, GF.

GF - dont limit yourself to just the traditional cider apples. There are at least 4 fairly common varieties that I know of that make a good base cider by themselves and are really good when mixed with one or two other flavor apples: Stayman, Pink Lady, Cameo and Northern Spy. Can you get any of these?

Macs are great to add to any of these for flavor as are Rome, York, Fuji, Winesap, Johnathan, Cortland, Empire, Granny smith, etc. If you dont have one of these first four apple types, then you can still get a good mix, but it will take more types of apples to build up the flavor. My guess is Honeycrisp would be good in a mix, but probably not by itself.

When you call the orchard, ask them what blend they recommend for making hard cider. In my experience, most presses have someone who works there or who knows someone who makes hard cider. If they dont, you probably dont want to deal with them. If they do, maybe you can get in on the next hard cider pressing.

LIAB - My first batch of the season was on Sept 14. Cortland, McIntosh, Gala and Jonathan. It had a lot of citric acid and not much sugar. It sounds similar to the juice you got, It fermented out well and has a lot of flavor. Just dont let it get to dry or you will be waiting a while for the acid to mellow. It needs the apple sugar for balance. 1.004 is probably the lowest I would go intentionally on an early season cider

Back