Canadian Roll Call!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I visited montreal in feb. and had no issues finding good beer but not much in the way of brewery tours. I really wanted to check out dieu de ciel but when we got there it was packed so tight the door almost wouldnt close.

Hey everyone located in Barrie, Ontario looking to find some local Brewers to learn the trade. No experience but very interested

Langley, BC representing. Been brewing for years but haven't spent much time on the forums. I hope to learn and hopefully help others. I'm also into charcuterie and have lots of experience making bacon.

Ok so I haven't updated in a while on my hops. Both 1st year I planted Columbus and Cascade just before start of June. Columbus did amazing grew up around 13 ft and produced 1 lbs 2.4 oz of delicous hops!!! the cascades not so well but I think they were stunted because I stupidly put a shovel threw the rhizome...(i know, i know) anyway the grew to around 7 ft and I only got .3oz off them this year. but still not bad for a first year. Just had first frost so will be cutting down the bines and mulching this week.

Ok so I haven't updated in a while on my hops. Both 1st year I planted Columbus and Cascade just before start of June. Columbus did amazing grew up around 13 ft and produced 1 lbs 2.4 oz of delicous hops!!! the cascades not so well but I think they were stunted because I stupidly put a shovel threw the rhizome...(i know, i know) anyway the grew to around 7 ft and I only got .3oz off them this year. but still not bad for a first year. Just had first frost so will be cutting down the bines and mulching this week.

I hear Chinook does really well up here - planning to plant one alongside our second year centennial and challenger hops. I'm about to brew my first batch with the centennials this weekend, but I'm not sure if we left them too long on the bine before picking. They smelled strongly of citrusy goodness before drying, but now the aroma isn't very strong... perhaps even a bit cheesy. Fingers crossed. I'm in Edmonton by the way.

I hear Chinook does really well up here - planning to plant one alongside our second year centennial and challenger hops. I'm about to brew my first batch with the centennials this weekend, but I'm not sure if we left them too long on the bine before picking. They smelled strongly of citrusy goodness before drying, but now the aroma isn't very strong... perhaps even a bit cheesy. Fingers crossed. I'm in Edmonton by the way.

I just brewed an IPA with the Columbus and used an ounce of centennial from the local brew shop. The Columbus still smelt fantastic and in the boil it was the best smelling beer ive made. I still need to dry hop in a week or so, hopefully this will be the best beer yet! I'm in Kingston, Ontario. Fingers crossed your hops are fine!

Where do you Winnipegers order your ingredients from¿ Is there a good place that ships to Canada and carries most things?

Where do you Winnipegers order your ingredients from¿ Is there a good place that ships to Canada and carries most things?

OBK in Ontario is great. They have everything and prices can't be beat either side of the border. I'm further west than you in Alberta, and even with extra shipping its worth it.

If you have to ship anything then obk can't be beat. Shipping to northern alberta kinda sours the deal a little though, I wish they offered free shipping over a certain amount. I did find a local shop in Edmonton that matches obk prices so I've been using them for the past couple months. I'd suggest looking at a local store first if you can before ordering online.

If you have to ship anything then obk can't be beat. Shipping to northern alberta kinda sours the deal a little though, I wish they offered free shipping over a certain amount. I did find a local shop in Edmonton that matches obk prices so I've been using them for the past couple months. I'd suggest looking at a local store first if you can before ordering online.

Which store in Edmonton is same price as OBK?

Which store in Edmonton is same price as OBK?

I shop at winning wines Plus in Sherwood park. It's still a few hrs from me but I plan ahead if I'm going to be in Edmonton for a weekend then I'll email down to them and get my order all sorted out ahead of time. Their selection isn't huge if you go in last minute but they will order you anything if you let them know ahead of time.

I shop at winning wines Plus in Sherwood park. It's still a few hrs from me but I plan ahead if I'm going to be in Edmonton for a weekend then I'll email down to them and get my order all sorted out ahead of time. Their selection isn't huge if you go in last minute but they will order you anything if you let them know ahead of time.

I like to use Winning Wines on 111 Street in Edmonton. They have a wide selection of just about everything, including reasonably priced bulk grain.

montreal, qc here. kits, all grain, extract.... i do it all, depends on the season and the amount of time i have available :)

Simcoe Muskoka Homebrewers Club

Come out and Join!

We are a club that wants homebrewers to come together share the craft of homebrewing and share their knowledge. The club will have informative discussions, feedback and overall enjoy some beer.
Meeting's will bring together homebrewers who are new to brewing, experience homebrewers and professional brewers. Our monthly meeting will have various activities, brewing presentation, brewing techniques, troubleshooting and much more.

Meetings will be the third Sunday of each month and held form 2:00pm to 6:00pm
If you are 19 years and older you are welcome to join us.

Schedule,
Place - Barnstormer Brewing

Club meeting dates and Beer styles/topics

Sunday November 15, 2015 - IPA
Sunday December 20, 2015 - Porter
Sunday January 17, 2016 - English Bitter
Sunday February 21, 2016 - Brown Ale
Sunday March 20, 2016 - Bock
Sunday April 17, 2016 - Pilsner
Sunday May 15, 2016 - Saison
Sunday June 19, 2016 - California Common
Sunday July 17, 2016 - Wheat
Sunday August 21, 2016 - Lager
Sunday September 18, 2016 - Stout
Sunday October 16, 2016 - Belgian

We will be looking to elect people at our second meeting.

Come out and join!

Just wanted to say hi because I had NO IDEA how big this forum was and was so excited to find more Canadians.

Currently living in Frankfurt, Germany, so if you are ever in my neck of the woods, feel free to send me a message.

:mug:

Just wanted to say hi because I had NO IDEA how big this forum was and was so excited to find more Canadians.

Currently living in Frankfurt, Germany, so if you are ever in my neck of the woods, feel free to send me a message.

:mug:

Awesome, I was planning a holiday to Germany. Can I stay with you for 7 weeks? Kidding of course... welcome to the forum.

EDMONTON ALL-GRAIN BREWERS!
With the crappy river water supply we have, what are you guys doing for water? About a year ago and following struggles with the local water, I switched to RO with mineral and lactic acid additions for improved mash pH control. Are you all doing the same, or something totally different?

EDMONTON ALL-GRAIN BREWERS!
With the crappy river water supply we have, what are you guys doing for water? About a year ago and following struggles with the local water, I switched to RO with mineral and lactic acid additions for improved mash pH control. Are you all doing the same, or something totally different?

I look up our water profiles on the Epcor report. Then I'll adjust accordingly due to our moderate hardness. I also use RO as well and add salts from time to time especially for lighter styles.

One thing I must have are the Potassium Met. tablets to drive off the chloramine.

That being said, I never really had huge problems. Spring months when there is a lot of runoff is when the water is over chlorinated and tastes different. other than that time I'm usually ok with our tap water. I also carbon filter it before I treat it for chloramine too.

I look up our water profiles on the Epcor report. Then I'll adjust accordingly due to our moderate hardness. I also use RO as well and add salts from time to time especially for lighter styles.

One thing I must have are the Potassium Met. tablets to drive off the chloramine.

That being said, I never really had huge problems. Spring months when there is a lot of runoff is when the water is over chlorinated and tastes different. other than that time I'm usually ok with our tap water. I also carbon filter it before I treat it for chloramine too.

Thanks Squared. It was the fluctuating mineral and chloramine content plus need for campden tablets that had me switching to RO water. When I found I could get 5 gallon refills at Crappy Tire for only $1, I just decided to stay with it. Glad to know the tap supply is working for you. I might try it again some time. Do you find certain styles work better for your water?

Kamloops BC Brewer.

Lurked on this forum for about a year. Brewing for about a year as well. All-Grain from the start. 3 x 15 G keggles, keezer for serving, and loving every minute of this hobby!

Currently have Orfy's Mild mannered Ale (10G) finishing fermenting. 10G of California Common in a keg, brewed at a u-brew place with a GC I had from last xmas, and BTW it sucks compared to my all-grain batches.

Thanks Squared. It was the fluctuating mineral and chloramine content plus need for campden tablets that had me switching to RO water. When I found I could get 5 gallon refills at Crappy Tire for only $1, I just decided to stay with it. Glad to know the tap supply is working for you. I might try it again some time. Do you find certain styles work better for your water?

I just learned to get my RO from Ukrainian Tire for 1$ :mug:. Thanks.

Due to our hardness I find our water suits most styles that contain moderate amounts of specialty malts like C60, and darker kiln malts. Anything brown or darker we will be pretty good with our water and pH. Also not bad for pale ales but I usually add a bit more salts for IPAs

I use RO with salts (used sparingly) for any pilsner or lager or light beers. This is when I'll add some lactic acid to reach pH for these beers usually just around 200g or less acidified malt will do the trick.

I just use the water adjustment software available for free out there and input our Epcor water profile for the month into it and it will calculate our mash pH.

But honestly, that cheap RO water might change my mind now LOL! might have to do what you do now

Hi all!

Brewer from Montreal, Quebec.

Been brewing all grain for a year and a half. Also a member of a student brewing club, GéniAle, from École de Technologie Supérieure (engineering school).

I participated at LABAQ's 2015 edition homebrewing competition, won 2nd place in American Strong Ale category.

Part-time helper at Kruhnen's microbrewery in Blainville.

Hey everyone.

Fredericton, New Brunswick here.

(basically a complete newbie) Just doing basic wine kits and wort or syrup kits. Planning on moving to grain soon :)

Brewer from Chatham, Ontario here! Been brewing for a little over 2 years now. Currently I'm working on brewing better lagers and will be starting to wrangle some local Chatham-Kent yeast/bacteria.

Also, to anybody in the area, I have started a new club for anyone in the Chatham-Kent area (forum post to come soon). Our first meeting is on Feb 2nd 730pm-930pm at 87 Thames St (Sam's Percolator). See you there!

Another Edmontonian here. Just getting my feet wet, learning the basics with extract brews. Also in the early stages of planning a keezer. Let me know if you know of any Edmonton stores that have good deals going, or if there are any online retailers in Canada doing anything interesting.

I'll probably head out to an Edmonton Homebrewers Guild meeting at some point as well. Hope to meet some of you incredible brewers there!

Another Edmontonian here. Just getting my feet wet, learning the basics with extract brews. Also in the early stages of planning a keezer. Let me know if you know of any Edmonton stores that have good deals going, or if there are any online retailers in Canada doing anything interesting.

I'll probably head out to an Edmonton Homebrewers Guild meeting at some point as well. Hope to meet some of you incredible brewers there!

Welcome BiteMeElmo. Winning Wines Plus is pretty much the go-to place in Edmonton for all your beer supplies. They have a wide selection of grain, yeast, hops, you name it. The Lendrum and St. Albert locations are the best I find. Another store, Brew for Less, has less selection, but they're more focused on extract brewing and have better prices for kits and extract so this would be a great resource if you're getting started. As for online, Ontario Beer Kegs has just about everything and you can save a lot on costs as long as you place bulk orders (you'll get nailed on shipping otherwise).

Excellent, I work in St. Albert, so it should be easy for me to get there whenever I need to. Good to know about Brew For Less as well. I'll probably check out their prices for another extract kit.

So far I like OBK too. Decent prices and great selection. I pull up their website almost every day, to see if there are any decent specials.

Hi everyone, Surrey BC all grain brewer here!!! Where is everyone getting their all grain supplies from?

Last edited:
Back