Which do you think is my fermenting temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAAAA

Reaction score
So my fermenting chamber is basically a big trash can w/lid and my fermenter inside of it with water filled to about halfway. I then have frozen water bottles that I change out.

I have a floating thermometer in there and I also have a temp strip applied to my plastic fermenting bucket.

The water temp says 50 degrees but the sticker shows at about 68 degrees. What do you think the temp is inside the fermenter? I am thinking it is about 70 degrees but I am unsure how the water temp and inside fermenting temp could be so far off.:drunk:

Yeah, if they're in contact with one another, they should be reading the same temperature. I don't really understand fahrenheit temperatures, so I don't know which one's better though ;). Maybe just assume the worst for now, then check them against each other when the batch is done.

Fermentation is an exothermic reaction, meaning that the yeast give off heat. So the temp of your beer is going to be higher than the water outside the fermenter. So, I'd say your in the upper 60's, or maybe the lower 70's depending on if the stick on fermenter is being cooled at all by the water. If you really want to know, crack the fermenter open and check the temp with a sanitized thermometer.

Fermentation is an exothermic reaction, meaning that the yeast give off heat. So the temp of your beer is going to be higher than the water outside the fermenter. So, I'd say your in the upper 60's, or maybe the lower 70's depending on if the stick on fermenter is being cooled at all by the water. If you really want to know, crack the fermenter open and check the temp with a sanitized thermometer.

I understand that and have also wondered if the water was helping throw off the stick on temp gauge. It is probably about a 1/2in to an inch about the water level of the trash can.

This is the first time I am using the stick on temp and before I would just go by the water temp and guessed the inside temp was 5 degrees higher so that is why this is throwing me off a bit now since the water temp shows at about 50 and based off my previous fermenting that would mean a inside temp of 55 and that is no buenos.

Definitely don't think it is 50 inside though based off what the sticker is showing. I would think it would be more accurate then just the floating thermometer.

I really need a spare fridge so I don't have to worry about this anymore.

I understand that and have also wondered if the water was helping throw off the stick on temp gauge. It is probably about a 1/2in to an inch about the water level of the trash can.

you cannot submerse those stick-on thermometers. there's a sandwiched layer of temperature sensitive material between two pieces of plastic. Soak it in water and they'll pull apart and ruin your thermometer.

I'm not even sure the thermo is reading properly at this point.

they can get splashed, but they can't be dunked.

People (including me) ran tests a few years back and determined that the temperature on the outside of a carboy or bucket was very close to the temperature inside. Either the strip is damaged or the wort has formed layers. At 50F, the yeast wouldn't be active enough to keep the wort mixed. Are you stirring it occasionally?

you cannot submerse those stick-on thermometers. there's a sandwiched layer of temperature sensitive material between two pieces of plastic. Soak it in water and they'll pull apart and ruin your thermometer.

I'm not even sure the thermo is reading properly at this point.

they can get splashed, but they can't be dunked.

The stick on thermometer is not submerged. Like I said in a previous post it is about a 1/2 to an inch above the water level in the bucket.

People (including me) ran tests a few years back and determined that the temperature on the outside of a carboy or bucket was very close to the temperature inside. Either the strip is damaged or the wort has formed layers. At 50F, the yeast wouldn't be active enough to keep the wort mixed. Are you stirring it occasionally?

The water temperature shows it is 50 degrees (from the floating thermometer I have in the trash can) and the strip on the actual fermenter which is not in the water is showing about 68-70 degrees.

So the water temp on the outside shouldn't be affecting the sticker somehow?

That is what my main question is. Double checked it just now and it looks like the water temp is about 60 and the sticker for the fermenter is showing about a temp of 64.

Do you go by the middle number on the sticker or which color is the one that the temp is closer to? Blue or brown?

So the water temp on the outside shouldn't be affecting the sticker somehow?
That is what my main question is. Double checked it just now and it looks like the water temp is about 60 and the sticker for the fermenter is showing about a temp of 64.

Do you go by the middle number on the sticker or which color is the one that the temp is closer to? Blue or brown?

The water temp should not be affecting the sticker directly; the temperature of the water bath will modulate the temp of the fermenter, which will be reflected by a change in the on the sticker....does that make sense?

You go by the number in the middle.

. . . I also have a temp strip applied to my plastic fermenting bucket.
People (including me) ran tests a few years back and determined that the temperature on the outside of a carboy or bucket was very close to the temperature inside.
I believe this is only true with glass. A plastic bucket has insulating properties that glass does not. The temperature of the inside of the bucket may not be the same as on the outside.

I believe this is only true with glass. A plastic bucket has insulating properties that glass does not. The temperature of the inside of the bucket may not be the same as on the outside.

When there is a change in temperature, glass will reflect that change quicker than plastic. Its not as if the plastic is absorbing heat from the fermentation and holding on to it forever, it just taste a bit longer to transfer that heat. Once that happens, the fermometer will read an accurate temp.

:off: I like your Jack-O-Lanterns!

The water temp should not be affecting the sticker directly; the temperature of the water bath will modulate the temp of the fermenter, which will be reflected by a change in the on the sticker....does that make sense?

You go by the number in the middle.

Gotcha. I just didn't know if the temp was gonna be 5-10 degrees higher inside or if the water was helping it all stay cool.

Everything is fermenting right now and keeping a pretty steady temp.

Gotcha. I just didn't know if the temp was gonna be 5-10 degrees higher inside or if the water was helping it all stay cool.

Everything is fermenting right now and keeping a pretty steady temp.

Nope, for these purposes consider the fermenting beer and the fermenting vessel and a single unit.

Nope, for these purposes consider the fermenting beer and the fermenting vessel and a single unit.

Cool. That puts me at ease a bit until I can get a fridge instead of a trashcan to ferment in haha.

Back