Is the refractometer possibly the coolest brewing tool available

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonuff

Reaction score
I received a refractometer from my mother-in-law for Christmas. I haven't brewed since then but calibrated it and messed around with it with table sugar in water.

This is such an awesome tool!

I can't wait until I brew next weekend!

You haven't brewed since before Christmas???????

I hereby renounce you as a Michigan Masher! :D

I think having a refractometer would be way cool. Let us know how you like it when you brew next weekend. I think that's on my short list of "wants" right now.

I'd like one, but I've brewed tons of great beer without it too. There are still a few things on my list above that one, so...we'll see. My new immersion whirlpool chilling system took 10 gallons from boiling to 65f in 13 minutes today...I think that just might be cooler. ;)

That's it.

Where'd I lay my ban button.

In brewing terms...Christmas is like a hundred years ago. :p

I know it's unacceptable. Especially considering I have four+ pounds of hops and ten packets of yeast/vials waiting for me.

:off:
My new immersion whirlpool chilling system took 10 gallons from boiling to 65f in 13 minutes today...I think that just might be cooler. ;)

Pic's. No pic's it's just words on the screen. ;)

Have you used a plate chiller? I got one as part of a craigslist purchase and not sure which way I want to go. Pic's would be nice you know.....

Four pounds of hops!!! You need to come visit me in Raleigh....or just send your hops.

Sorry I can't. They are sleeping right now and I don't want to awaken them.

DSC00937.jpg

:off:

Pic's. No pic's it's just words on the screen. ;)

Have you used a plate chiller? I got one as part of a craigslist purchase and not sure which way I want to go. Pic's would be nice you know.....

Just because you missed the brewcast yesterday where I broadcast it for the entire world to see doesn't mean everyone else did ;)

Yeah, I've used a plate chiller. The problem I have with it is that it leaves the majority of the wort sitting near boiling in the kettle for awhile, then chills it little by little. The whirlpool IC chills it all at the same time. After flameout, the longer your wort sits about 140f, the better your chances are of developing DMS precursors and getting lots of cold break in your fermenter.

That, and I already had an IC, so that's another $80+ that I didn't need to spend.

Latest posts

Back