Putting Apfelwein in wine bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnerdude1

Reaction score
Just copied EdWort recipe for making Apfelwein and want to bottle and cork
Apfelwein in about four weeks. If I add sodium metasulfite to the 5 gal carboy before I bottle and put it in wine bottles, will there be any danger of corks coming out of wine bottles. Do not want to carbonate as just want wine. Also how will this taste?

Thanks

Turnerdude1

Welcome To HBT!
Congratulations on the new Batch!
Still Apfelwein is great! If you wait till it's done fermenting (as indicated by crystal clear nature, and confirmed with hydrometer) there is not any danger, and no need for additional chemicals!

Good Luck.

BigKahuna has it right.

Now if you want to backsweeten at all with some form of fermentable sugar be it sucrose, dextrose or more apple juice then you will need the stabalising chemicals.

Wait.. so you don't need 5oz of priming sugar before you bottle apfelwein?

Someone told me you can also put a couple grains of yeast in each bottle.. that will really help to carb it.

Wait.. so you don't need 5oz of priming sugar before you bottle apfelwein?

Someone told me you can also put a couple grains of yeast in each bottle.. that will really help to carb it.

No, if you ARE carbing the wine Im sure you still want the priming sugar added. I believe the TS stated he didnt really care to have it carbed. (Just bottled)
-Me

to carb or not to carb?

(plan on making this in the near future)

thanks!

Yup beer bottles...

Or 2 Litre PET soda bottles (Sparkaling Water bottles are better IMO)

But the latter is for sharing!!! :mug:

I just bought 12- 1 liter bottles with the Grolsch-style caps. I figure that will work perfect for apfelwein.

Back