Brass shanks a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conpewter

Reaction score
I'm building up my kegorator but I'm really short on cash right now so I ordered a faucet from this auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Chrome-Beer-Faucet-with-Shank_W0QQitemZ220200483363QQihZ012QQcategoryZ67135QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know I can have sticking issues with this sort of faucet (i'll keep a spraybottle of star-san handy to spray it out each night after use) but will the brass shank give me off-flavors in my beer?

Would I be better off just putting some 1" holes in the fridge door (standard hole size for shanks) and slip beer line through them with a party tap on the other end until I have the money to buy stainless shanks and perlick/ventomatic faucets?

I looked into that site and asked the sales person (neat online chat/help system) and they emailed me a pdf page from their catalog with faucets

Cheapest = 15.19 for a chrome finished faucet (brass lever) and they have perlicks for 31.29.

So cheapest shank/faucet/handle combo would be 28.87 (without taxes/shipping etc) so not bad.

Still wondering wonder about the brass one I have currently on the way to my house.

The linked site has all brass faucets for sale as well so I don't imagine it can affect flavor too much or they wouldn't sell them... on the other hand BMC is not as acidic as a highly hopped beer would be.

Back