How to sour a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
I know a lot of guinness clones just use acid malt to get the appropriate ph and sourness. But, what if I want to sour some beer to mix with fresh beer in an authentic manner. Should I just leave it in the open air for a few days then pasteurize it? Or is there a common technique to souring half a stout?

Take a little of your preboil wort and place it in a larger bottle(0,5L or so). Take some milled grain and put it in the bottle. Put some tin foil over the bottle. Let it sit for a couple days. Taste to see every once in a while to see when it get to your desired sourness. When it does remove grain and boil for 10 mins. Put back into bottle and add to the beer when bottling.

sause said:
Take a little of your preboil wort and place it in a larger bottle(0,5L or so). Take some milled grain and put it in the bottle. Put some tin foil over the bottle. Let it sit for a couple days. Taste to see every once in a while to see when it get to your desired sourness. When it does remove grain and boil for 10 mins. Put back into bottle and add to the beer when bottling.

you f'in rock man, that's exactly gonna do.

Back