Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tre6mafya

Reaction score
I just finished brewing my own chocolate stout this weekend it was extract with specialty grains did about 3oz of coco powder at flameout. Now I'd like to make this a coconut chocolate stout, should I add the toasted coconut in the secondary? Will the coconut flavor still come through?

Yes, the coconut will come through. What size batch did you make? For a 5 gallon batch I would take a pound of coconut and roast it in the oven until golden brown. Put it in secondary and rack the beer onto it. Now if you plan on kegging you can always add more coconut in the keg inside a muslin bag (if you want more coconut flavor). Or if you want more flavor and you are bottling go ahead and add a pound and half in secondary. That's the beauty of home brewing, experimenting.

Is a method of sterilizing the coconut not necessary?

I want to do this one too so let us know how it goes.

tre6mafya said:
I just finished brewing my own chocolate stout this weekend it was extract with specialty grains did about 3oz of coco powder at flameout. Now I'd like to make this a coconut chocolate stout, should I add the toasted coconut in the secondary? Will the coconut flavor still come through?

What extract kit did you use? Want to do a chocolate stout for my next batch

i will be toasting the coconut this weekend and dropping into a mesh bag i will weigh it down with some sanitized marbles let it sit for a week before bottling my 5 gallon batch. My wife picked me up supplies from my local home brewery store and they built her a kit based on what she said i liked. As soon as I get home I can let you know exactly what the ingredients were since I don't have the exact measurements in front of me.

salb29 said:
What extract kit did you use? Want to do a chocolate stout for my next batch

Here are the Ingredients I used for this recipe.

Malt extract
8lbs light malt extract syrup

Grains all in lbs:
1/4 honey malt
1/4 dehusked carfa III
1/2 dark chocolate malt
1/2 golden oats
1/2 crystal 120

Hops:
1oz Cluster @ boil 60min
1oz Willamette @ 30min
4oz Hershey's Coco powder @ flameout

Today I will bottle might add 1cup of creme de coco before bottling

Update on the coconut chocolate stout! It came out pretty good, just cracked it open today... It's a nice dry stout with a hit of coconut and a nice light smell of chocolate. I didn't add the creme de coco just did the coco powder at flameout and 8oz of coconut toasted and placed in a mesh bag in the secondary. I think next time ill add at least 1/2 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips during boil for a little more smooth chocolate taste.

Back