Droid help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
Just got the new razr and i love it.... i am stuck with the 2g a month plan but i was wondering if anyone in here knew if i can use the internet that i have on my work computer without using the data on my phone.... ive read about rooting but i heard it can render your phone useless

If your work computer is connecting to the internet wirelessly, yes the RAZR can connect to a wireless source as well.

You may have to enter the wifi parameters manually -- I have a Droid 4 which is just a Droid Razr with a hard keyboard.

go to settings -> wi-fi settings -> add wi-fi network and enter the ssid, username, and password.

Not necessarily numbers -- your office wifi may be advertising a human-readable network name, or it might not be advertising it's network name at all, but still be present.

So, do you have a laptop or something that is on the wireless network already?

Is your local IT guy amenable to privately owned devices on the network?

Mine isn't. But tolerates it. I have to manually enter the network name (AKA ssid or essid) and my username/password but it works just fine.

Your computer may be hard wired, which is good for the computer, but not good if they don't also have wireless for the phone.

As has been said, they may have wireless and you don't know it. It may have an SSID (name) or they could hide that so people are less likely to piggyback/hack their system.

You will likely need to get the wireless password from your IT person and they *may* be less than excited to give it to you. Lots of them would rather not allow a BYOD (Bring your own Device) onto the company network. Security risk.

He said it's a wired connection.

It's doable but it's not easy. The easiest ways to do it are:

1) Get a small wifi router
2) If the desktop has a wifi card, create an adhoc hotspot that the Razr can then connect to
3) Share the connection via Bluetooth (if the desktop is so equipped). Tiny Bluetooth adapters do exist

MC

Rooting is easy. However using the reverse tether will probably not allow you yo bypass the firewall at work and your browsing will be most likely easily traced back to your workstation. Just fyi

Latest posts

Back