Just 10 bottles from a 2.5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkIafrate

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just got done bottling a jalapeño pale ale that I was really excited about only to be able to fill 10 normal sized bottles. Disappointing and puzzling. I've brewed 2.5 gallon batches before that yielded many more bottles.

I first thought was that I forgot to top off before I pitched the yeast but I checked my ( very detailed ) notes and I see that I did.

So is this just something that naturally happens sometimes? Was it my ingredients? Is that about how many bottles I should expect?

Any and all hell appreciated.

Mark

128 oz / gal X 2.5 gal = 320 oz / 12 oz per bottle = 26 bottles

If you only got 10, someone did something wrong...

I suggest you get a calculator and mash the buttons to calculate how many bottles you should've got. Then you should realize that 10 is way off and revisit exactly what you did on your brewday. What were you OG and FG readings? Did it look like 2.5 gallons in the fermenter?

Did you use a pound of leaf hops for dry hopping and have 6 inches of trub in your fermenter? There is something quite wrong here.:confused:

I also check and look at what was left around the jalapenos? Jalapenos can absorb some, but absorbing 15 or 16 bottles is a lot. You are missing some somewhere.

Here are my notes reproduced from that day. Might matter that I started with two gallons and then topped off with a half gallon.

Brewed on 3/4/12

Time: ~ 5 hours start to cleanup

Brewing Steps and Notes:

1. Started with two gallons of cold tap water
2. Dissolved the DME in the water and stirred (Note: We added it a bit at a time and stirred kind of vigorously until everything was dissolved.)
3. Put the pot on the heat and let the temperature rise
4. We added the muslin bag of grains at around 85 or 90 degrees
5. Brought the temperature up to 155-160 degrees
6. Held there for 20 minutes
7. Removed bag of grains and adjusted the heat to achieve boil
8. Added bittering pellet hops roughly one or two minutes after the boil began
9. Added whirfloc tablet after 35 minutes of boiling
10. Boiled for 10 more minutes after the addition of the whirfloc tablet
11. Added one jalapeno and boiled for 5 minutes (Note: See attached photo for size comparison, but perhaps next time we should weigh the pepper for a better size estimate. It was was split length wise and then both of those halves were split again. We Left seeds and everything else in.)
12. Added aroma hops in muslin grain bag and boiled for 2 more minutes
13. After 2 minutes we took the pot off the heat but left hops and jalapenos in the wort
14. We moved the pot to an ice bath to cool and covered it with a vented lid
15. We waited for the wort to cool and let it get down to 78 degrees (Note: Took around an hour or so, not completely sure)

Yeast - Followed the Recommended Brewing Procedures

16.. Heated 3.5 ounces of water to about 100 degrees (Note: Forgot to use a sanitized glass)
17. Added one full packet of the ale yeast (Note: US-05)
18.Covered with sanitized tin foil and let sit for 5 minutes
19. After 5 minutes I stirred with a sanitized spoon until all clumps were gone (Note: This may have taken about five minutes, but next time I need to see how long this takes and determine if it means I need to let it proof for less time so I don't exceed 30 minutes.)
20. I covered with the tinfoil again and let it sit for 20 minutes

Carboy: The carboy had been holding the Iodophore and water solution. It was cleaned as well as the strainer and the funnel.

21. We cleaned everything out of it and then we put the funnel in the carboy top and then put the strainer in that.
22. We poured the cooled wort into the strainer and then topped off with a half gallon of cool/cold water.
23. We added water first to kettle to get as much wort as possible. Then added through the strainer.
24. We mixed and aerated the wort for a couple minutes using the stainless steel spoon. (Note: Again, I need to take into account how long these steps take because I did this while the yeast was still proofing. The timer for the 20 minutes for that went off and we were still working on the wort. Since we don't want the yeast to be sluggish, we need to keep the proofing time under 30 minutes. We need to do a better job determining when to start that process so I can pitch as soon as it's ready.)
25. Sanitized the airlock and filled it with sterilized water. Fixed the lid and then added the airlock.

Put the carboy in the closet downstairs in Alex's house.

Readings:

INITIAL GRAVITY READING ~ 1.100 (if I add two points because of temperature it would be 1.102 - Added 2 points for being at 78 degrees or so)
FINAL GRAVITY READING ~

Day 1: 1.017

Day 2: 1.017

[\quote]

??? You started with 2 gallons, boiled for an hour - boil off of about 1 gallon per hour = 1 gallon topped up with .5 gallons = 1.5 gallons. Loss to trub = ~.25 gallons = 1.25. Unknown amount added to boil kettle and when? before boiling? = unknown # of gallons to bottle ??

Interrogate Alex. He stole 1/2 the beer without telling you. I recommend sleep deprivation exercises and placing him in the stress position. He'll crack eventually.

??? You started with 2 gallons, boiled for an hour - boil off of about 1 gallon per hour = 1 gallon topped up with .5 gallons = 1.5 gallons. Loss to trub = ~.25 gallons = 1.25. Unknown amount added to boil kettle and when? before boiling? = unknown # of gallons to bottle ??

I'd be a little surprised to see 1 gallon boiloff per hour on the kind of small pot you'd be using for a 2.5 gallon batch

You lost some to boil off, some to the steeping grains, some to the hops, some to the trub. You can't start with 2.5 gallons and expect to end with 2.5 gallons. You probably need to start with 3.5-4 gallons to end at 2.5.

The mere fact that your OG was >1.100 suggests that you didn't have 2.5 gallons in the fermenter...

Never leave beer at Alex's house! See what happens when you leave your stuff hanging around willy-nilly?

You did say that any and all hell would be appreciated ;)

Sorry, that typo just cracked me up :)

Who can blame Alex for getting a little thirsty? :mug:

But really, since you started with 2 gallons, and topped off with only 0.5 gallons, it would be virtually impossible to end with 2.5 gallons. You lost some water to boil-off, grain absorption, jalapenos, etc.

It is best to make sure your hydrometer reading for OG is close to the expected reading. I really doubt the type of beer you made was supposed to read 1.10. It sounds like there wasn't enough water with it when it went to the fermenter.

Loving all the feedback! I'm on the mobile app right now but soon as I get back to the apartment I'll address all the comments.

You gotta really strong beer there. Thats 10.7% as of now.Make shure you carb it correctly for 10 beers.Probably around an oz of priming sugar probably less.Dont be surprised if you have to conditon this a while. How long do you plan on keeping it in primary? Im going to have to brew one of these soon,although i might go for the juniper pale ale first.I like the idea of jalapeno which has a bittering type quality from the spicy heat.I can only really handle 1 of these at a time from trying them in the past.Very good with food.

So here are some due responses:

@mtbcoach - Agreed, something went awry.

@dbreinrk1 - OG and FG readings provided below. For the second post, Alex is actually my girlfriend (Alex = Alexandra). I've already commenced questioning. She has yet to divulge any information as to the whereabouts of the second half of the batch.

@kh54s10 - Might as well had, right? Haha. As for your second post, when I said added to the kettle, I just meant I poured the top-off water in there before I added it to the carboy, that's all.

@Shaneoco1981 - Agreed with respect to jalapenos absorbing some water, but yea, not half the batch worth.

@Rhuarc - Will do soon as I can, still not at the apartment.

@TarVolon - I agree, but I think JLem might be right.

@JLem - Like I said above, I think you're right.

@usfmikeb - This is interesting but yes might be an indicator. I'd say boil-off and losing water from steeping etc. may have done it.

@SharonaZamboni - Hahaha very true!

@DonutMuncher - Thanks and I think you're right. With respect to OG reading, I'll cheek the recipe booklet as soon as possible. That will be interesting to see what the expected reading should have been.

@jonmohno - Yes very strong. Should be double-digits for sure. I used half a pack of priming sugar which is roughly half a cup. I did this because directions call for a pack (1 cup) for a 5 gallon batch so I figured halving it would be a good idea, but that was before I realized how few bottles I actually had. I usually taste a bottle after a week or so of conditioning but let sit for two before I drink. As for the primary, three weeks. As for jalapenos ales, I've found there can be a good variety. Some have just flavor, some have flavor and heat. All usually go well with food and it can definitely be tough to have more than one in a sitting.

I'm going to post the recipe as soon as I can!

Thanks again to everyone!

Mark

Well the high maltyness may mute the jalapenos some what.Your overcarbing because 1/4 cup is about what i use but probably less for my 1.6 gallon batches.So i think you going to have some pretty carbonated beers. I would look out for overcarbonation after a week or two.Thats twice as much as i use typically. Be carefull they could be bottle bombs for 10 beers. Thats enough priming sugar for 25 beers.
I think your in a situation here with not being able to condtion these properly and having to worry about overcarbonation at the same time.Since the high abv may make carbing these take a while also i would consider trying one after a week to check on carbonation and if its strong or good enough just stick them in the fridge.
Im pretty shure with 10 beers to half cup priming sugar your eventually going to see gushers or worse.
How many oz are those packets? I almost would uncapp them and leave them with loose caps for a week in a closet,then sanitize the mouths and recapp new caps. To diffuse some of the pressure. Or take caps off sanitize new ones place on the rims and let sit for a week maybe more around 70 deg.Then recapp.

Well the high maltyness may mute the jalapenos some what.Your overcarbing because 1/4 cup is about what i use but probably less for my 1.6 gallon batches.So i think you going to have some pretty carbonated beers. I would look out for overcarbonation after a week or two.Thats twice as much as i use typically. Be carefull they could be bottle bombs for 10 beers. Thats enough priming sugar for 25 beers.
I think your in a situation here with not being able to condtion these properly and having to worry about overcarbonation at the same time.Since the high abv may make carbing these take a while also i would consider trying one after a week to check on carbonation and if its strong or good enough just stick them in the fridge.
Im pretty shure with 10 beers to half cup priming sugar your eventually going to see gushers or worse.
How many oz are those packets? I almost would uncapp them and leave them with loose caps for a week in a closet,then sanitize the mouths and recapp new caps. To diffuse some of the pressure. Or take caps off sanitize new ones place on the rims and let sit for a week maybe more around 70 deg.Then recapp.

So it looks like I either:

A) Let sit for a week and then put in fridge or
B) Uncap, let sit for a few days, recap and then let sit.

If I choose B how long do I let it sit for? How long do I leave them on for before I try?

And @Tykees

Ha! Nice. Normal 12 oz. bottles. ;)

you lost some to boil off, some to the steeping grains, some to the hops, some to the trub. You can't start with 2.5 gallons and expect to end with 2.5 gallons. You probably need to start with 3.5-4 gallons to end at 2.5.

+1

I think you're right. Now I just need to figure out what to do about this over-carb issue I may have.

Mark

Just a quick bump. Any help on what's best to do with bottles? Uncap and let sit or only let sit for a week? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Mark

Some people would say to carfully slowly pour them back in your fermenter without oxidizing them,I do this all the time but reversed with my last bottle of beer that i cant get out of my bucket i pour it carfully down the inside of the bottle with my 2 gal.bucket so it doesnt aerate it.You could do the same but reversed and pour the bottles int the fermenter if its a bucket.
It may be easier or less risky as far as sanitation to just uncapp them and put foil over them for a week then recapp, For the loose bottle capping or foil:its hard to say because if it mostly ferments out your going to get low carbonated beers or they could not have even really begun much to carbonated during that week or you could still get overcarbonation if it didnt ferment the priming sugar much.Especially since its a high abv beer which can take long to carbonate.
I guess the safest route would be to let it ferment in the fermenter then rebottle if you can do it without problems. I would keep a 70's temp too. I would hate to say take a hydro reading since you would lose another beer or two checking.Maybe let it sit two weeks and pitch a little yeast?I dont think if you slightly oxidized it by pouring it in the fermenter it would hurt too much because the oxygen may be utilized in the fermentation of the priming sugar.

I'm curious about how this comes out if you have any that don't explode.
But also why one Jalapeno and not a few more?

Some people would say to carfully slowly pour them back in your fermenter without oxidizing them,I do this all the time but reversed with my last bottle of beer that i cant get out of my bucket i pour it carfully down the inside of the bottle with my 2 gal.bucket so it doesnt aerate it.You could do the same but reversed and pour the bottles int the fermenter if its a bucket.
It may be easier or less risky as far as sanitation to just uncapp them and put foil over them for a week then recapp, For the loose bottle capping or foil:its hard to say because if it mostly ferments out your going to get low carbonated beers or they could not have even really begun much to carbonated during that week or you could still get overcarbonation if it didnt ferment the priming sugar much.Especially since its a high abv beer which can take long to carbonate.
I guess the safest route would be to let it ferment in the fermenter then rebottle if you can do it without problems. I would keep a 70's temp too. I would hate to say take a hydro reading since you would lose another beer or two checking.Maybe let it sit two weeks and pitch a little yeast?I dont think if you slightly oxidized it by pouring it in the fermenter it would hurt too much because the oxygen may be utilized in the fermentation of the priming sugar.

Ok I'll hedge my risk and split the 10 bottles into two groups. I'll leave 6 as they are and open one of them on Sunday (one week from when I bottled) and see how it is and determine the next step from there - either put in fridge as you suggested (what does this do slow down fermentation?) or leave out for another week. Is it safe to assume after one week most of the fermentation is done and safe or would end of week two be the most dangerous for bottle shrapnel?

The other four I'll uncap and cover with sanitized foil. Then I'll recap on Sunday and see how they do a week later.

Thoughts?

And @AZOTH99 - Just one jalapeno because I've talked to brewer's who have made beer like this in the past and that is what they suggest. It seems like you just don't need a lot of jalapenos to give it the flavor. From what I've heard, the seeds and vein of the jalapenos give the heat and the meat gives it the flavor. So if you want a beer with some heat kick to it, keep everything in when you brew. If you just want flavor, seed and de-vein the sucker before you boil/do secondary.

Also, I should mention, I added to the boil so I assume this might impart more flavor when compared to adding in at secondary.

Hope that helps!

Next time you have your fermenter empty, I'd suggest adding measured water 1/2 gallon at a time and marking the levels on the outside. This will make avoiding issues like this much easier because you can just look and see how much volume you have.

Next time you have your fermenter empty, I'd suggest adding measured water 1/2 gallon at a time and marking the levels on the outside. This will make avoiding issues like this much easier because you can just look and see how much volume you have.

Great idea, thanks.

Putting them in the fridge will halt any further carbonation if it becomes excessive,like i mentioned earlier sometimes high abv beers take longer than normal to carb up than the standard 1-3 weeks.The problem is that you have a strong beer that generally but not neccessarly should be conditoned for a month or two,that would be hard to do not knowing how much carbonation you have not to mention how long it could take.But if you think they taste great after a week or two and you are seeing some strong carbonation then refrigerate them to halt any further carbonation.
Thats part of the reason why i mentioned putting them back in the fermenter letting them ferment again and then priming and rebottling them back up.But you have a plan and sounds like a good conscious effort so just be carefull,nobody needs bottles blowing up on them.

Back