Ireks malt syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUTomek

Reaction score
I enjoy European style lagers and pilsners and have spent some time investigating these recipes. Many call for the use of Ireks malt syrup and grains. I am having trouble finding this locally or online.

Does anyone know where this can be acquired, or can offer a good substitute for a 6.6lb Ireks light malt syrup.

Its surprising to see many references to this extract but no sources or comments about its scarcity.

I've heard that they went out of biz.

Are you looking for the 100% wheat extract? Bc I think that is what they are most known for.

Any quality liquid malt extract will do. Or, better yet, any quality dried malt extract.

check out austinhomebrew.com or morebeer.com

good luck! and welcome to the board

PS: where ya from?

Out of biz eh.. I'm surprised there are many receipes out there and so little mention of them going away. I was looking for their light malt, but will find an alternative then. I did read that their wheat extract was pretty popular..

My first beer was a partial mash in of pilsner urquell clone, but I wanted to try and compare things to a mostly extract recipe. The local brew shops carry various other malts so I'll find a good substitute, unless someone can recommend one in particular. I am trying to get something similar to the Polish brew, Zywiec (mmmm..).

I'm from the microbrew capital, Portland OR.

I think most extracts are pretty interchangable

the key factor is freshness...

hmm...Zywiec...never heard of it, but if it's like urquell I'll keep my eye out

Take it easy!

Back