Bayou Classic SQ14 Flame Control Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_ozz68

Reaction score
I have a couple questions for all you Bayou Classic users out there. I recently upgraded to the SQ14 and a 15 gallon pot so that I could start brewing double batches :rockin: And I now have a few questions. First, should I open up the regulator all the way on the burner to get to a boil quicker or would I burn through the propane too quickly? The sticker on the regulator knob says "10PSIG" if that matters on how wide open I should have it.

Also, how many hours of propane should I expect to get out of my cylinder at the recommended flame control?

Thanks in advance for any insight!!

I turn the knob on the propane tank a half turn and the regulator maybe half way up. I get three 10 gallon batches from a 5 gallon tank.

The SQ-14 is typically equipped with a 0-10 psi adjustable pressure regulator. You will get more heat running the burner wide open, but you will also use a lot more fuel. Unless you are in a big hurry for some reason, it's more economical to use something less than WOT. Only you can determine what works best and experience will give you that. The appearance of the flame at a moderate boil level will give you a general idea of how much heat you are applying. You mileage for a tank of propane will probably range from 3 to 6 batches depending on your burner and how you are using it. You could weigh the tank before and at the end of the brew day to get a more exact number if you really need to know. I prefer to have a backup tank on hand and not worry about exactly how many batches I can squeeze out of a tank.

Thanks for the replies........I brewed yesterday and besides over shooting my strike and sparge water volumes the brew day went pretty well. I think for the most part I had the burner somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 open and it worked fine. I do have a second tank as a back up, I was just looking for a rough estimate on how much gas I would be burning with this burner and with now doing 10 gallon batches. Thanks again for the advice!!

Back