Chest Freezer Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgarino

Reaction score
Who out there is using chest freezers for fermentation? How big should I get? Any pics? Thanks

I am. I have a Holiday 5 cu ft chest freezer. It only fits 1 carboy at a time and I put the blowoff bucket on the shelf. Wish I had gone bigger, but maybe someday I'll get a bigger one and this will be a lagering fridge.

I have a 2 stage ranco controller and a fermwrap taped to the inside of the freezer.

I thought about it, but since I'll be fermenting 10 gal batches in sankes I didn't feel like lifiting them up and into a chest freezer... Would have been far easier than making my own cabinet though, that's for sure.

I've got the GE7cf it fits two buckets or two 6 gallon better bottles. I use the johnson controls digital controller. Works great.

I used to have a 15 cu foot chest freezer. It worked great and I could have fit probably 4 6.5 gallon carboys on the floor. It stopped working and I wanted more garage space for other things, so I just picked up a 6 cu foot chest freezer. I can fit 2 carboys or 4 corny kegs on the floor - but this one doesn't have a hump so I need to add a collar to the top in order to fit airlocks (I can use blowoffs for now).

I like the smaller footprint and even when I had my 15 cu foot one I never used more than 10-15 gallons in there at a time - so it was really overkill.

I have this Chest Freezer and I use it with a temp controller. It fits 2 carboys though I've been using with 1 carboy and 1 bucket. I'm paranoid about bumping 2 carboys together. My blowoff bottle (I use a 1G bottle for that) sits on the hump. Only done a couple batches in it so far but seems to work well. Lifting over the freezer side is less of an issue for me that lugging my beer upstairs where I keep the damn thing.

theonetrueruss, *bow, thanks for confirming what I need. This sounds perfect and I have been eyeballing this fridge for weeks after just missing one on craigslist in my area. I was hoping a smaller unit would work, but I don't think the 7.2 unit will work as nicely.

Some pictures of 7.2 in use for this would be lovely to see if it does work really well for people, but I have yet to locate anyone posting about it.

Ive got a 7 cu ft Holiday and it fits two ale pales. I wish i could of got the 9 but it was too big for the space I was putting it.

I use a 7.0 cubic foot GE. Holds 2 6-gallon better bottles with regular airlocks and is easy for me to lift over the edge. I'm 27 though.

I am. I have a Holiday 5 cu ft chest freezer. It only fits 1 carboy at a time and I put the blowoff bucket on the shelf. Wish I had gone bigger, but maybe someday I'll get a bigger one and this will be a lagering fridge.

I have a 2 stage ranco controller and a fermwrap taped to the inside of the freezer.

can you not fit another bucket on the hump? if you made a shelf for it? or is it too tall?

It would be tough. The top of the first carboy is past the height of the shelf, so I would be sort of stacking them on each other. The really isn't a ton of space in this chest freezer.

stevo155 said:
It would be tough. The top of the first carboy is past the height of the shelf, so I would be sort of stacking them on each other. The really isn't a ton of space in this chest freezer.

Can you take a picture of your setup?

stevo155 said:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/stevo155/FermentChamber.jpg

Not a great picture because the carboy isn't in there, but it's all I have right now.

Thanks. I am picking up a second chest freezer tonight to ferment it looks like I will only be able to do one at a time but maybe I can do primary fermentation in it and the after yeast fermentation in my closet that stays pretty consistent.

Latest posts

Back