Can 5.2 pH stabilier react with aluminum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I usually add to 5.2 stabilizer to my mash tun ( I have well water and have to use 5.2 pH stabilizer), but this time I added it to the aluminum pot that was heating up the sparge water(I treat ALL my brewing water with 5.2 stabilier, even the sparge water). The water in the pot took on a kind of green tint (copper?) and got a slight greenish film on top the water. I was in a hurry and used it anyway, and of course, my final product has a weird kind of light greenish tint to it.. I ended up throwing away the whole 5 gallon batch, but I am curious if anyone else has ever heard of this? How reactive is aluminum? I would list the "salts" that are in the pH 5.2 stabilizer, but they are proprietary..

How much stabilizer did you add? Did you add it straight to the pot before the water maybe? Aluminum reacts with stuff sometimes and makes some aluminum salts (they aren't poisonous from what I google). I know this is a common problem when people wrap cooked eggs in aluminum foil...they turn green due to some sulfurous compounds. However, I can't see how this would happen when using pH 5.2. I use an aluminum boil pot with 5.2 all the time and nothing happens.

I usually add to 5.2 stabilizer to my mash tun ( I have well water and have to use 5.2 pH stabilizer), but this time I added it to the aluminum pot that was heating up the sparge water(I treat ALL my brewing water with 5.2 stabilier, even the sparge water).

Not necessary to add it to the sparge water. According to the mfg, your just wasting it.

Back