Looking for refrigerator suggestions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappster

Reaction score
I currently have a 1995 standard refrigerator/freezer in my home. While it works perfectly fine, SWMBO thinks she needs a new fridge.

I'm trying to turn this into a homebrewing opportunity. I think that I can fit this fridge barely into the corner of my garage without it being in the way of our vehicles (Small 2-car garage).

My question is this: I have a SOFC currently which I used during the summer when brewing beer. Do I want to use this fridge which is going to take up more space and possibly more energy to provide the same task.

Or do I want to waste even more energy and use it to refrigerate my beer? :mug:

Or can I get some more creative ideas from you guys? I saw this installation and while I think it may be a bit over my head, I think it looks really cool:
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=42735

The new fridge would most likely come from Lowe's who offers free delivery and removal, so in the end I may just have them take it away so that it is not wasting space. If I had a garage refrigerator I would really prefer if it was a little smaller...

I'll update with pics later tonight.

DIY go crazy: Like the link, use for both chilling FC and beer. Use the bottom to chill beer. In kegs. Use the freezer to keep the FC AND the beer lines cool/cold. Naturally you will run the beer lines from the garage fridge into the house for a through-the-wall faucet setup. Having built a long draw setup it's really not as hard as you might think.

Something is better than nothing: Put the fridge on Craigslist, even if you get $50 it can go towards a smaller fridge and you're not putting a working fridge into a landfill.

IMHO: if you're not needing glycol for long draw draft or the FC chiller, the freezer is a waste and you're better off with a keezer build than a kegerator build.

Back