Imperial India Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradjoiner

Reaction score
i was reading through the BYO that talks about fussion brewing and was thinking ive never had a lager with enough hops to kill your average grown man but how i would like to brew one and trick all my lager fan friends

ME: hey man i finally broke down and brewed a lager for you. you should try it it is a dos equis clone (silent chuckle)

THEM: (cough cough throw up) oh my god man i think i need to go to the hospital!!!

has any body ever had or brewed something like this?
got any recipe ideas?

I have actually recently had one. Capital Brewery in Madison, WI has recently made a "Hop Bock". A doppelbock brewed with quite a bit of hops. I really enjoyed it. I only had a small sample so I couldn't get too much from it. I'd imagine it's very similar to their blonde doppelbock, with your choice of IPA hops. The floral and citrus flavors melded very nicely with the clean, but malty backbone. I've also had a few imperial pilsners, also very good. It'd hard to tell what you were going for here.

That's exactly what I'm going to do...here is my ingredient list. I plan to brew this weekend and expect to enjoy it sometime this summer.

Ingredient Name Amount
Main Malt
Briess Munich Liquid Extract - 6 lbs, 0 oz
Briess Sparkling Amber Liquid Extract - 6 lbs, 0 oz
Briess Traditional Dark Dry Extract - 2 lbs, 0 oz

Specialty Grains
De-Bittered Black - 0 lbs, 8 oz
Weyermann Cara Munich III - 0 lbs, 8 oz

Hops
Tettnang, German Pellets - 2 oz @ FWH
Perle, GR Pellets - 1 oz @ 60 mins
Magnum Pellets, GR - 1 oz @ 30 mins
Magnum Pellets, GR - 2 oz @ 15 mins
Tettnang, German Pellets - 1 oz @ 10 mins

Wyeast Labs Bavarian Lager - 1 ea

Jack's Abby here in MA has an India Pale Lager called Hoponius Union. It's amazing how they are able to get the hops to shine through given that it must lager for an extended period, and hops tend to fade over time.

Back