Lime?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude123

Reaction score
I've been to three grocery stores today looking for prickly pears to make mead. I didn't find any, but had an idea. How would lime in mead work? Has anyone tried this? How much lime for a 1 gallon batch?

I have two kilos of honey that was going to be used for the prickly pears, but now I'm open to options.

My thought would be that lime is too acidic to be the feature fruit in mead. I put the juice of 2 limes in a 3-gallon batch of raspberry melamel, and it's too much

alright, thanks. I'll have to see if I can come up with something to go with lime in a mead. I've wanted to do a strawberry mead for a while, so I might just do that.

How much prickly pear do you need? How much do you pay for it? Does it come skinned & chopped like nopolitas or just hunks of pear? If you just need a few chunks of pear, I pick it out of my back field & mail it to you, for the cost of the postage.

thanks,I appreciate the offer.

I need about 1.5lb of pear, whole would work fine. I'm not sure if shipping cross border would be worth it, especially the hassle of shipping food. I saw them two or three weeks ago, and haven't since. I'm gonna look again in a another week or two, but if I can't find them, I may take you up on the offer.

If you do make a lime mead, I suggest not using very much juice, and mainly using the zest, which has all the flavor without the large percentage of citric acid that is present.

Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) will reduce the citric acid in the juice. I used about 1 tsp for 10-12 oz of lime juice. After a few days, it will clear and settle to the bottom.

Do 1 gallon of traditional, once primary is complete then rack onto Zest and 1/2 lime juiced. pH may effect how it ages out but won't impair fermentation.

I did a 5 gallon batch of lime and it worked great. I used 1 cup in the primary and 1 1/2 cup of lime juice in the secondary. I used 20 pounds of alfalpha honey too. As I said it turned out great. For 1 gallon batch I would use 1/4 cup in the primary and 1/4 cup in the secondary. That should make it a very good lime batch. I personally am going to put a bit of mint in with the batch if I make it again. Sort of a lime mint flavor. I figure it wouldn't take much but should smooth out the lime a bit. In a 5 gallon batch I was thinking 1/4 pound of fresh mint leaves in the secondary. Rest should be the same.

I did a 5 gallon batch of lime and it worked great. I used 1 cup in the primary and 1 1/2 cup of lime juice in the secondary. I used 20 pounds of alfalpha honey too. As I said it turned out great. For 1 gallon batch I would use 1/4 cup in the primary and 1/4 cup in the secondary. That should make it a very good lime batch. I personally am going to put a bit of mint in with the batch if I make it again. Sort of a lime mint flavor. I figure it wouldn't take much but should smooth out the lime a bit. In a 5 gallon batch I was thinking 1/4 pound of fresh mint leaves in the secondary. Rest should be the same.

Lime and mint, sounds like a Mojito Mead

Ok guys, thanks for all the advice!

I've decided to do a strawberry mead for now, but I'm gonna work on the recipe for this and try it once my JAOM is ready to bottle in a couple weeks. I'll post an update with a recipe when I've got one.

thanks again

friend of mine made a lime mead.. was outstanding. 1 quart of fresh lime from his tree. 18p honey to make 5 gallons. I'm actually going to do one soon.

This year at our brew fest. A lemon lime ginger mead won the show..

Back