Hefeweizen process question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave__C

Reaction score
I had a Hefeweizen in my carboy as primary for about a week and wanted to start up an IPA which I knew I need to do in the carboy because I wanted to swamp cool it.

So I racked the Hefeweizon over to a secondary. I'll be bottling it after 1 week in secondary.

Any ideas whether this will have a bad effect on the beer?

I normally would have left it in primary for two weeks and no secondary.

I wouldn't worry too much about it settling out and all that, if that's what you're referring to.

It'll be fine.

Thanks for the quick response.

I guess I just don't fully understand what role that yeast cake on the bottom has after a week in the primary. Is it essentially inactive at that point and just sediment to leave behind?

After fermentation is done, the yeast still work to clean up by-products that can produce off flavors. I've noticed a cleaner taste since I've started doing longer primaries, at least 10 days if not 2 weeks. That said, hefeweizen should be a pretty forgiving style in that regard, so it will probably be fine.

I went to secondary after 7 days the kegged after another 7 days. Four weeks after brewing it is fantastic. My SWMBO is now a fan of my new hobby!

Back