second wines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liah

Reaction score
can you tell me about your experiences with making second wines?

I have some frozen raspberries and strawberries, from previous wines, and was just wondering if the wines were worth the effort or not.

I think it sounds like he has bits and pieces and is looking to make a JUMBALAYA wine.
How bad can it be?

-OCD

Second wines work great for grapes- grapes have all they need for the fermentaion. I wouldn't even attempt it with other fruits though. They have very little natural sugar, so you'd be adding so much sugar and getting almost nothing out of the fruit (since it gave up what little it had the first time).

I agree with Yooper on this one, most fruit won't do very well on a second wine, other than the ones that are very high in sugar content, fruits such as figs, lychee or pineapple.

Would this be along the lines of pitching your beer on a yeast cake, or partigyle wine? I google'd it and only come up with a second wine being made from less desireable quality grapes. Got a link to a reference? Never heard of this, all I know is cooking down the leftovers for grappa. :D

-OCD

Back