Extract APA recipie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strider

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm planning out a recipe for my next brew. What I'm aiming for is a rather hop forward APA, but not overwhelming. I have some questions if I am balancing enough with malt in my current incarnation, so looking for some opinions. It's gonna be all cascade.

This is what I have currently worked out in BS:

(4G boil, 5.5G batch)

3# Breiss Pilsen DME (60)
3.5# Breiss Pilsen DME (15)
.5# Am. Caramel 20L
.5# Am. Caremel 40L
1.25oz Cascade (60)
.75oz Cascade (30)
.75oz Cascade (15)
.50oz Cascade (2)
.5 - 1oz Cascade Dry Hopped
US-05

OG: 1.053
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.07%
IBU: 41.3
SRM: 6.7

I'm toying with adding .25# Am. Caramel 60L (worried won't have enough malt character). Also thinking about splitting the extract with golden light.
I'm also a bit concerned this might be too hop forward. I love hops but I think it's a trend right now to overdue them imho. Thinking about cutting back the 60 min to 1oz, and the 30 to .50oz.

Thoughts?
TIA
-John

Looks like a good, solid APA. I would not add the Caramel 60L. If you want some good malt flavor/aroma, try .25# of Aromatic malt. That said, I don't think you'll be disappointed by a lack of malt character if you don't change anything (especially since you're using Pilsen DME).

I would keep the hops as is, you're looking at about 34.2 IBU. The range for the style is 30-45, so you're right on. Dry hop with the full ounce, .5 ounce is not going to do much in 5.5 gal.

You're looking at an estimated 5.0% ABV, so you could even cut down the DME a bit. Speaking of, since you're using DME, there's really no need for a late addition, since it doesn't darken like LME does.

I recommend downloading Beersmith....does all of the calculations for you.

The late extract addition is mainly for hop utilisation. With it Beersmith (trial) gives me the IBU in the original post. At 41 I'm pushing up to the upper limits of the style. Given that would your recommendations still stand?

I wouldn't cut your 60 min addition down, but may considering doing just .5 on the 15. I have noticed that too much Cascade in the 10-15 range will give almost too much of a grapefruit flavor. Not really bad, but you definitely notice a grapefuite citrus type flavor.

Thanks all. I'll consider the Aromatic Malt and will go for the cut down 15. As for cutting the base extract... I tend to like beers a touch on the bigger side so I'm happy with 5%. Probably wind up just cutting the 15 and going as is. Still a week or so till I have the fermenter free so have a bit of time to mull it over.
-john

Back