Any Beers in India to try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
Other than Kingfisher? It may be too late to ask since I'm leaving tomorrow, but so far the only beer I've seen is Kingfisher. There must be others. I would think that IPA would be available here since it is after all INDIA pale ale, but I haven't seen any. And truth be told, I'm in Chennai and haven't really ventured out as this place isn't a real tourist area. It's not like you can go to the corner store. I get the sense that Indians aren't big drinkers but do have something every now and then.

I was at an Indian restaurant a few months ago and all they had was Kingfisher and 2 other beers that tasted Exactly the same as Kingfisher.

I have a good friend who is Indian, and there really isn't a big demand for beer in India. Thus, KingFisher and Taj Mahal which are light macro lagers predominate the market. I doubt you'll come across any good IPA, mainly because that beer was being shipped to India for the British and not the Indians. Once the British left, they probably took their beer with them.

Oh well. The only good thing about Kingfisher is that it is free. I've managed to be put on the executive floor at the hotel and there is a happy hour from 6:30-9:30. I'm drinking one right now.

I did tell my wife to put some of my new hefe in the fridge so I can try it when I get home. It'll just be ready.

I had Maha Raja the other night when I went out for Indian food. It was strange tasting it side by side with Kingfisher. The Maha Raja was an Indian pilsner but it had a huge malt character to it, compared with Kingfisher anyway.

x2

I always order Taj Mahal when i eat Indian food, it's 7%, really smooth and comes in a 22 oz bottle.

x3

I always order this with India food when we go out. I don't care that some people don't like it, but I'll drink it all night. Those are also some good bottles for bottling in.

Latest posts

Back