Nugget Hops - Any Ale Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keelanfish

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post...for that matter, I'm fairly new to homebrewing, done 6 batches so far with varying success.

My wife planted two nugget hop plants in our herb garden a few years ago for ornamental reasons and up until this year didn't produce much of anything. However, this year I've already harvested about a paper grocery bag full and there are more that are going to be ready soon. The ones I've harvested are drying beautifully and I've already put some in freezer bags and am storing them in our chest freezer.

I've done some research on nugget hops and they seem to be used most often in light lagers. I don't have the setup to do cold fermentation, so does anyone know any uses or recipes that use them with ale yeast?

English IPA

9.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.0 SRM) Grain 85.74 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.85 oz Nugget [13.40 %] (60 min) Hops 39.2 IBU
1.00 oz Nugget + 1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (Dry Hop 5 days)
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (15 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
2.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 4.73 %
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)

edit - I just realized I gave you a recipe that bitters with Nugget. I don't recommend bittering with homegrown hops unless you know the AA%s. My bad...

Yeah, the AA% is a problem I've been trying to figure out. All I've found is information on typical ranges, but haven't found any way a home gardener can figure out exactly what percentage acid is contained in their hops. I guess trial and error might be a method. Anyone know a home test to determine AA%?

No simple test, but if you use a middle value, like 13% for Nuggett, and shoot for the middle of your bittering range, it works well. By the way, an all-Nuggett fresh hop IPA is a thing of beauty.

Back