Recipe Sparge Question (Beersmith Question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So here's my confusion issue with AG. Mostly with using software.
I am using beer Smith, Bought the full version. It's great except I don't quite understand entering in my Mash Schedule. For example this is my recipe and instructions for this Sunday's brew. Could someone show me how (maybe with some screen shots) to enter this into beersmith so I can follow it? I only need help with the mash portion, I'm fine with ingredients and all that other hoop-la.
This is jamil's Hazlenut Porter and I really wanna do it right.

15-A Porter, Robust Porter

Min OG: 1.050 Max OG: 1.065
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 45
Min Clr: 30 Max Clr: 90 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.00
Anticipated OG: 1.064 Plato: 15.67
Anticipated SRM: 37.1
Anticipated IBU: 36.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 7.06 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.054 SG 13.43 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
66.7 10.00 lbs. Pale Malt - Crisp Marris Otte Great Britain 1.038 3
3.3 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
10.0 1.50 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
3.3 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
6.7 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
3.3 0.50 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525
3.3 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
3.3 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt - Light Great Britain 1.034 200

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.60 32.2 60 min.
0.70 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.70 4.1 15 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.60 0.0 0 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.70 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale (WYeast 1056 american Ale)

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 15.00
Water Qts: 19.50 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 4.88 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.30 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 154 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume Gal: 6.07 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Add an 8 oz can of Hershey's Cocoa powder about a minute or two before the end of the boil (the boil breaks up the clumps).

Add hazelnut extract to taste in the keg or at bottling time.

Ferment at ~67F.

Pitch lots of healthy yeast.

Hope that helps.

The section in RED is what has me thrown as far as Beersmith is concerned. What i did so far was added a Single Infusion, Full Body, Batcdh Sparge Mash Step. Then changed the water/grain ratio to teh suggested 1.3q/lb and changed the temperature to 154° and Step time to 60 Minutes.
Now for the Sparge Temp at 170 for 60 minutes, Are they wanting me to add 170° water to the sparge and let it rest for another 60 minutes, or Add apprx 185° water to hold a mash temp of 170 for an hour? I'm confused here and also how to enter it into beersmith.
I really want to understand this so I can start brewing better.

That one is easy.. Just choose Single Infusion Medium Body, Batch Sparge and you'll get it just right.

View the brewsheet or print the instructions and it will give you information on sparge temps and volumes

You can define any mash/sparge schedule you want. Click on the 'details' button in the mash section of the recipe and change it to what you want it to be. If that particular mash/sparge schedule is one you'll use often, then create a mash profile for it and save it for use in future recipes.

First off, Holy crap fast response!, Apparently everyone else is also extremely busy at work today!

I guess I still don't know what to do with the "Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 60"

I understand the high temp for sparging but hadn't heard of a 2nd 60 minute rest. I thought it was, Add 170, stir, let sit for like 5 minutes then drain.

Change your view at the top in the pulldown to classic brewsheet.. It will give you detailed instructions

I guess I still don't know what to do with the "Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 60"

I understand the high temp for sparging but hadn't heard of a 2nd 60 minute rest. I thought it was, Add 170, stir, let sit for like 5 minutes then drain.

You are correct. It is not another 60 minute rest at 170. Follow your normal batch-sparge procedures.

I guess if you were fly sparging, you might sparge for an hour with 170 water.

The recipe you're reading is assuming a FLY SPARGE which is why it says 60 minutes. If you batch sparge, which you have it set to, it will NOT tell you to do that step for 60 minutes.

thanks for the help all. I never new about that brew sheet. I would always just do the general summary sheet. I didn't know the brew sheet (1.Existed) broke everything down in detail like that! Awsome. The Fly Sparge makes since for it saying 60 minutes. I didn't think of that.

Back