Where to buy some Summit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
So I recently spent 30 bucks including shipping on a pound of Summit hops from Freshops only to have them lost in the mail. Without a way to track I'm pretty screwed. I don't know at this point whether Dave will do anything for me or not but I'm a bit peeved at the whole situation. I was wondering if there is another source of supply for summit hops? I was planning on brewing a Summit IPA that was unbelievably good.

thanks!

Dan

Bearcat Brewmeister said:
They are the only place I have found them in leaf form. I bought pellets from Northern Brewer a few years back as well.
NB is literally gouging the hell out of people with their hop prices, I know the crop wasn't much this last year but I can't support 6 bucks per ounce of pellet hops.

Dan

Willsellout- have you called any Portland area shops? I got some from Steinbarts a few months back. That sucks that the postal service lost your hops...I mean you are only on the Oregon coast, its not like they went to Nova Scotia. This link has the online store which is a bit funky. I'd call them. http://www.fhsteinbart.com/about.html

Good luck!

Willsellout said:
NB is literally gouging the hell out of people with their hop prices, I know the crop wasn't much this last year but I can't support 6 bucks per ounce of pellet hops.

Dan

yep I think Northern brewer is being pretty shady with there prices. Dont get me wrong they have quality product, great info and people that work there are very helpful but their prices are getting really bad compared to the other big guys

TimBrewz said:
Willsellout- have you called any Portland area shops? I got some from Steinbarts a few months back. That sucks that the postal service lost your hops...I mean you are only on the Oregon coast, its not like they went to Nova Scotia. This link has the online store which is a bit funky. I'd call them. http://www.fhsteinbart.com/about.html

Good luck!
thanks, I'll check with them. I'm actually making a trip up there in a couple weeks. Yeah I've never had anything lost since I've lived here and it sucks this was the first thing. I mean I only live a few hours away from Dave; it should have taken 2 days to get here. Oh well..I'll probably order another pound and ask him for track and confirm.

Dan

mot said:
yep I think Northern brewer is being pretty shady with there prices. Dont get me wrong they have quality product, great info and people that work there are very helpful but their prices are getting really bad compared to the other big guys
Yeah...it's not right and their "explanation" for their prices was weak. You have hops and you want to make money. Whatever, I never shop there anyway. I wish i didn't love Summit so much:mad: :D

Dan

Willsellout said:
Yeah...it's not right and their "explanation" for their prices was weak.
Their explanation is supply and demand. Last I checked, we were in America, the land of capitalism. I would rather have hops in stock at a store and have them at a price I can choose to pay or not than to look around and not find any because the got horded by people at a low price even though they don't need them right away.

Willsellout said:
So I recently spent 30 bucks including shipping on a pound of Summit hops from Freshops only to have them lost in the mail. Without a way to track I'm pretty screwed. I don't know at this point whether Dave will do anything for me or not but I'm a bit peeved at the whole situation. I was wondering if there is another source of supply for summit hops? I was planning on brewing a Summit IPA that was unbelievably good.

thanks!

Dan

Wow! That is really bad. How were they shipped (UPS, FedEx, USPS)? In any of the above cases there is a way for them to be traced. They are liable, 100%. He has proof of shipping and they will have proof of delivery. You'll probably have to do some major ground work though...

Their explanation is supply and demand. Last I checked, we were in America, the land of capitalism. I would rather have hops in stock at a store and have them at a price I can choose to pay or not than to look around and not find any because the got horded by people at a low price even though they don't need them right away.

What good is it to have a choice, if you can't afford to be gouged?:rolleyes:

I'm definitely more concerned about horders than I am about price gouging. There's a certain amount of extra hops that is fine, like maybe enough to make one or two unplanned beers, but beyond that, its a little obscene.

A pound of Summit lost in the mail blows though. That's probably two awesome beers lost to the mail.

Of course supply and demand and I can see your point. Northern Brewer is the only store I can find doing this though which for me means this is price gouging pure and simple; taking advantage of a shortage. $7 bucks for an ounce of pellett hops is absurd in any case.

Anyway, this thread wasn't about bashing anyone running a business..they will do what they think will work and if people want to shell out the cash. so be it. I still have a a couple pounds of different varieties in my freezer (Thanks to Hops Direct's generous portions) I can work with but Summit was what I was looking for for my IPA.

Oh well, Summit will be mine.

Dan

BierMuncher said:
I thought Dave used UPS to ship.

He should be able to confirm that a package was delivered or not. He's made good with me on some mis-orders in the past.
well luckily it was an address misprint and it was returned to him. It should go back out tomorrow with the right address:ban: . Summit IPA here I come!

Dan

Willsellout said:
well luckily it was an address misprint and it was returned to him. It should go back out tomorrow with the right address:ban: . Summit IPA here I come!

Dan

Can you post a recipe? Just curious on how you are using them.

I was doing inventory on my hops this evening (new BeerTools feature!) and I just realized I have 9 ounces of Summit I'd really like to use.

BTW, glad it worked out for ya!

wildwest450 said:
What good is it to have a choice, if you can't afford to be gouged?:rolleyes:

Are you serious? So, when it comes to pass that a certain segment of the population can't afford something, it means they're being gouged? I can't afford a goddamned Boxter, but I'm not complaining about being gouged by Porche.

We're talking about hops, here. A necessity of life, they're certainly not. While it's true that the more money you have, the more choices you have in what you purchase...this certainly doesn't mean that just because you have less choices due to your financial situation, you're being "gouged". The rich have more, the poor have less. If this bothers you, then I have just the place for you...:rolleyes:

Willsellout said:

Dan
I'm glad you will be able to get the hops you paid for. I love Summit and understand how you feel, knowing that they are out there and you just can't get them. If it came down to it, I had some to sell you, but based on my supply being low and no guarantee that I can replensh in the future, my price would only be slightly lower than NB;).

Willsellout said:
Of course supply and demand and I can see your point. Northern Brewer is the only store I can find doing this though which for me means this is price gouging pure and simple; taking advantage of a shortage. $7 bucks for an ounce of pellett hops is absurd in any case.Dan
I don't think we can say it is gouging for sure unless we had all of the details about the other end of the supply chain. Based on short supply, are they getting charged more? (most likely yes, but to what degree) What is their short- and long-term inventory outlook? There are several other factors - this is a complex issue.

Gouging is typically an industry wide reaction to take advantage of a temporary short supply where your costs have not increased from your supplier, but the short-term demand has increased dramatically and you increase price past the demand balance price due to panic behavior. For example, plywood sales during a hurricane warning. The supplier to the plywood seller has not increased cost and their long-term supply to them has not been affected, yet they increase price higher than necessary to take advantage of panic buying.

This is not the case with with the hop shortage. The hops are in what can be considered a long-term shortage from the growers, so the retail middlemen have a supply issue on their side and along with it higher prices (although some have not gone up much and are on allocation from growers). Charging the consumer higher prices is not gouging in this case - it is just managing to balance their incoming supply with their outgoing demand. Just because other stores are not doing it (some are) does not make it gouging. Stores can individually set prices based on the market forces individual to them. Some stores are selling hops at a loss now but making it up on other items and are willing to do it because they see a price increase as a potential for lost goodwill. Others price based on wanting to keep some inventory available for their customers and they see that as goodwill.

It's actually a conspiracy by the big beer companies. They paid the hop farmers tons of money to poison the crops so that the craft brewers would die off. :D

Dude said:
Can you post a recipe? Just curious on how you are using them.

I was doing inventory on my hops this evening (new BeerTools feature!) and I just realized I have 9 ounces of Summit I'd really like to use.

BTW, glad it worked out for ya!

I will when i get home, it was actually an AHB kit. It was something like 7.5 Lbs LME and 1.5 lbs each of vienna and something else...it also took about 4 ounces of Summit. I'll post it when I get home. It was honestly the best IPA I've ever tasted.

Dan

Back