Mcaustin's Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcaustin

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1332 - NW Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
20 days
Grain:
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)

Hops:
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min)
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (30 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.25 qt of water at 169.4 F 154.0 F

Dry hop 2oz of Amarillo for 1 week.

Update-

I now have this on tap, and I'm really enjoying this beer! It has some very light smoky/roasted flavor, but has a good hop nose. The bitterness seems just about perfect to balance the roasted flavor, and the dry hopping with amarillo was a good choice.

peterfuse said:
sounds awesome, but can it really be called a version of Indian Pale Ale if it's black?

Point taken... I posted it here since it's more IPA in flavor and I think I must not have seen the Specialty Beers, but if the mods would like to move this to the Specialty Beers category, feel free.

Stone's XI anniversary ale was essentially a black IPA as well, and it was fantastic. I'm looking forward to making this one, but I may sub out the amarillo for Columbus hops.

We'll see!

I made this on Saturday but I think I over did the hops a bit :
30g simcoe 12% FWH
25g somcoe 12% 30mins
30g amarillo 8% 10 mins
15g amarillo 8% flame-out (this was a mistake - got added after cooling)

I tasted it today and its very bitter - hopefully it mellows a bit.
Can someone please estimate the IBU ?
Note to self : don't change the recipe untill you've tasted the original (duh)
Have I ruined it ?

Have I ruined it ?
I'm still a n00b, so I'm just going to say no because that's what everyone else says. It also what I experienced with my first brew (an APA with lots of hops). I'm pretty sure it will be better in a few weeks.

Can't help you with the IBU since I don't know anything about your volumes, but here's a calculator: http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/bitterness.html

You're right. I racked to 2ndary on Saturday and tasted it at the same time - its much better - tasting great !

I'm still a n00b, so I'm just going to say no because that's what everyone else says. It also what I experienced with my first brew (an APA with lots of hops). I'm pretty sure it will be better in a few weeks.

Can't help you with the IBU since I don't know anything about your volumes, but here's a calculator: http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/bitterness.html

Back