home brew supply shops in......NJ!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are probably busy worrying about their grape deliveries coming up which is what most of their customers are really interested in anyway. It's really a wine maker shop that sells some beer stuff.

Corrode's have been out of yeast for a month now. How ridiculous is that?
They just dont give a crap about their customers

i find that hard to believe, you must mean a specific strand of yeast.

i like cask and kettle in boonton

Hello -

I realize im very late to this post but i STILL have this problem. Im told there is a good place jsut over the Tapanzee bridge - im curious if any of you have found good alternatives. I shop at Corados for beer and wine supplies but dont get a warm and fuzzy there and have had mixed results

Thanks
@njwineandbeer

I see you're in Hoboken. Great place, I live there myself. I like to go to cask and kettle in booton. Its an awesome place to go if you have a car or motorcycle. The ingredients are pretty cheap although I prefer to buy all my equipment online since I can usually get it cheaper. There's also a place in brooklyn but I've never been there before. I'll probably check it out over the winter when its no longer practical for me to ride my motorcycle to cask and kettle.

i find that hard to believe, you must mean a specific strand of yeast.

i like cask and kettle in boonton

NO, just go in anytime this week and see for your self. They had 4 or 5 vials of yeast and they were super yeast. I keep asking Jimmy he doesn't even know what to say anymore.

I will say they did get in a lot of hops (all whole)

I'll be shopping at mistucky or booton from now on.

I'm going to throw in my support for cask and kettle in boonton as well. their grain prices are really great. They also frequently have some of the popular hops when they're totally sold out at the top online shops. The shop owner and his helpers are very nice, also.

+1 for Cask and Kettle. Joe is owner and a friendly and knowlegable brewer. One of the widest selections of equipment and ingredients I've seen for a store that size.

We just got our second order of supplies and ingredients in since we opened our Homebrew Depatment. We will have Kegs and Kegging Equipment in stock next week. If you're in the area stop by and check us out.

The Homebrew Shoppe at Keyport Hobbies
14 West Front Street
Keyport, NJ 07735
2 minutes from Exit 117 off the Garden State Parkway

andypantz13 said:
I've been two Beercrafters twice. Its expensive. Cheaper for me to buy online and pay shipping, and I'm only 15 minutes away. Cost me over $10 last week for caps and iodophor. If I hadn't needed the stuff so badly I would have just said forget it.

HomeSweet HomeBrew in Philly is pretty good. Thought I'd save myself $3 on the bridge and go to Beercrafters last week and regretted that. Could have gotten lunch and gelato in Philly...

Dunno what bridge YOU'RE taking but those bridges are $5 these days!!! :)

I live close to brewapp, their yeast selection is ok I guess and their grain prices are a little high. The people are super nice and for you extract brewers their kits are really quite affordable. I doubt ANYONE has extract as fresh as theirs. I find their prices competitive with online. Their frequent brewer reward is pretty nice, I just wish they carried more than 5 yeasts (s04, s05, wlp001, wlp002, wlp hefe).

I also like keystone homebrew supply in montgomeryville PA. It's a bit of a ride but their store is AWESOME!

Edit: I just realized his thread was 5 years old. My bad. Stupid iPad app.

postman said:
Bobby M,

I realize that you are an all grain brewer, but have you tried any of the BA extract recipes? If so, what kind of success have you had. I've brewed 3 extract recipes from them, so so results each.

Postman

I've done a couple BA kits, their fields of golden wheat was to die for, delicious. Metedeconk summer ale was good, not great though. I tried deep nuts brown ale at a tasting event they had, it was excellent there but when I brewed it on premises with friends it was mediocre (before my acquiring my own hb stuff).

I'm from Jersey City and for my money and time I choose Brooklyn Brew. Works out to be about the same as flat rate shipping from most supplies when you include tolls/gas and and I get to chew the proverbial fat with some of the other brewers. Really great place. If I am doing a weird specialty batch and have time Ill order from one of the online guys and buy yeast at whole foods (who surprisingly has a rather large stock)

Does anyone know if someone in the area carries Wyeast? Not that I have a problem with White Labs, but I'm looking for the Roeselare Ale yeast because I'm going to be brewing a sour beer. Most of the places around me in Northern NJ only carry White Labs.

Reading up on some of the previous posts, I agree that Corrados is mostly a waste of time. I only go there for White Labs yeast but I always call ahead to make sure they have it in. There was a time when they held up my brew day a few days because they told me they were getting yeast in on Wednesday, but did not getting the yeast in until Friday of the next week! Over the course of that week, I called so many times asking if they got the shipment of yeast in that they told me to just leave my number and they will call me when it comes in. I ended up driving an hour away to get the yeast I needed. Another problem with Corrados is that they don't really carry too many grains for an all grain brewer, and if they do have the grain you are looking for, they don't crush grains. I originally meant to write this post to ask about Wyeast, but remembered how frustrating Corrados can be.

Homebrewers always want the freshest yeast possible and when you think about how many strains there are between WL and WY its very hard for a small time or even medium sized LHBS to keep up with fresh packs of both companies, hell even one like roeselare. How many people do you think go in there asking for it besides you? I find also that usually LHBS are a lil over priced in the yeast/hop are of our sport.
In saying this i would advise you to buy online and choose from virtually any strain thats commercially available at that time. Toss some hops in the order and im sure even with shipping it will compare very well with the price your getting from the LHBS.

The only time i go to the shop anymore is if im in a pinch or forgot something on an online order. Start buying 2-3 batchs uncrushed at once, chill yeast and for the most infrequent brewer im sure it would save you time and a couple bucks in the long run.

O yah...Always use a starter if you dont already, trust me.:ban::ban:

Good luck and enjoy the sour! Im up on long island invite me down in a year to taste it!:tank: lol

Keg and barrel in Berlin nj had a bunch of fresh wyeast last time I was in there. I think they were 6.99 a pack. Might be a little far from you though. Looks like u r in north jersey.

Homebrewers always want the freshest yeast possible and when you think about how many strains there are between WL and WY its very hard for a small time or even medium sized LHBS to keep up with fresh packs of both companies, hell even one like roeselare. How many people do you think go in there asking for it besides you? I find also that usually LHBS are a lil over priced in the yeast/hop are of our sport.
In saying this i would advise you to buy online and choose from virtually any strain thats commercially available at that time. Toss some hops in the order and im sure even with shipping it will compare very well with the price your getting from the LHBS.

The only time i go to the shop anymore is if im in a pinch or forgot something on an online order. Start buying 2-3 batchs uncrushed at once, chill yeast and for the most infrequent brewer im sure it would save you time and a couple bucks in the long run.

O yah...Always use a starter if you dont already, trust me.:ban::ban:

Good luck and enjoy the sour! Im up on long island invite me down in a year to taste it!:tank: lol

This sentiment is why LHBS's are closing. You absolutely cannot compare the service, expertise, friendly advice, and fresh ingredients that you get from your local homebrew shop. If price is the only consideration when considering your purchase, then you are correct. We can't always compete. However, we are VERY competitive when shipping costs are factored into the equation. We at Mistucky Creek Homebrew Supply strive to provide our customers with the freshest, most complete, and diversified product list possible, as do most local shops. It is near impossible to stock everything, but we can get anything needed to make high quality homebrew and wine. We appreciate our customers more than you could imagine, for they allow us to stay in business and continue to help our local home brewing, and wine making community. Sorry for the rant everyone, but PLEASE support your LHBS whenever possible!!

Does anyone know if someone in the area carries Wyeast? Not that I have a problem with White Labs, but I'm looking for the Roeselare Ale yeast because I'm going to be brewing a sour beer. Most of the places around me in Northern NJ only carry White Labs.

Reading up on some of the previous posts, I agree that Corrados is mostly a waste of time. I only go there for White Labs yeast but I always call ahead to make sure they have it in. There was a time when they held up my brew day a few days because they told me they were getting yeast in on Wednesday, but did not getting the yeast in until Friday of the next week! Over the course of that week, I called so many times asking if they got the shipment of yeast in that they told me to just leave my number and they will call me when it comes in. I ended up driving an hour away to get the yeast I needed. Another problem with Corrados is that they don't really carry too many grains for an all grain brewer, and if they do have the grain you are looking for, they don't crush grains. I originally meant to write this post to ask about Wyeast, but remembered how frustrating Corrados can be.

JohnnyBoy,

We are located in Warwick, NY. check us out www.mistuckycreek.com. We carry a full line of base malts and specialty grains, and we crush for free. We stock White Labs, but we are a Wyeast dealer as well and can get you whatever you need. There is also North Jersey Homebrew Supply in Sparta NJ. if that is closer to you. We would love to help you out with all your homebrewing needs.

Lloyd

This sentiment is why LHBS's are closing. You absolutely cannot compare the service, expertise, friendly advice, and fresh ingredients that you get from your local homebrew shop. If price is the only consideration when considering your purchase, then you are correct. We can't always compete. However, we are VERY competitive when shipping costs are factored into the equation. We at Mistucky Creek Homebrew Supply strive to provide our customers with the freshest, most complete, and diversified product list possible, as do most local shops. It is near impossible to stock everything, but we can get anything needed to make high quality homebrew and wine. We appreciate our customers more than you could imagine, for they allow us to stay in business and continue to help our local home brewing, and wine making community. Sorry for the rant everyone, but PLEASE support your LHBS whenever possible!!

I agree that the service and up close conversations u get at the LHBS should out weight the rest but when i go into my shop and i cant get half of the specialty grains i want to brew with and half the hops are "coming in a couple days" and the yeast i want they dont even stock, it really kills me for scheduled brew day.
Because of this i have moved towards buying in bulk online cut out the gas and replaced it with shipping costs. To me now its a win-win. I get packages delivered right to my door. I don't waste time driving to and from the shop and i have enough for 2-3 batches at a time.

Im all about buy American and support locals but it comes a time where its more efficient and cost worthy to shop online.

Lloyd,
I've been to your homebrew shop about 8 months ago and I bought a mash tun. I've used that thing non stop ever since. Your customer service was excellent and you even gave me a Mistuck Creek pint glass that I still use. There is nothing like a LHBS in my opinion. The only problem I have is that your shop is about an hour and change away so it's tough to make that trip if I'm not already on the area. I do have to say that I love your store and will definitely be back when I am in the area!

Hey all, I've been lurking around HBT for quite some time, but finally decided to register to get some input from you all. It seems there is a lot to be desired from LHBS in the NJ/NY area. I'm considering opening one in Hudson County, and could use input from brewers in the area to see what people want. Questions like the one above about White Labs / Wyeast are what I'm trying to figure out. Thanks in advance for your time.

Survey Here

I'm going to throw in my support for cask and kettle in boonton as well. their grain prices are really great. They also frequently have some of the popular hops when they're totally sold out at the top online shops. The shop owner and his helpers are very nice, also.

I'm full on Cask and Kettle. The owners is awesome and the prices are great!!! Can't beat it. I do get my hardware from Bobby though.

C&K!!!!

And they accept most major credit cards.

JohnnyBoy,

We are located in Warwick, NY. check us out www.mistuckycreek.com. We carry a full line of base malts and specialty grains, and we crush for free. We stock White Labs, but we are a Wyeast dealer as well and can get you whatever you need. There is also North Jersey Homebrew Supply in Sparta NJ. if that is closer to you. We would love to help you out with all your homebrewing needs.

Lloyd

This is great news...I'm in Northern NJ and have friends in Warwick NY right by the drive in movie spot. Thanks for posting Lloyd. I'll be seeing you soon for sure.

I recently went to Cask and Kettle for the first time.

Employees where all friendly. Almost nothing had a price tag, so annoyingly had to ask price for anything I was curious about.

They had all the products and brands expected in a quality shop. They didn't seem to stock some bulk items like 50 lbs bags of DME and 100 count bags of corks. They had many options for smaller quantities. The owner was happy to special order the DME for me which was a small savings from what is available from the popular online vendors.

Overall when considering taxes and shipping, I saved a few bucks for what total cost would have cost from online vendors.

I will definitely go back!

Awesome! Two new places to check out...I'll keep Corrado's as a plan C if needed.

I'm pretty sure Princeton Homebrew only has white labs

I love Princeton Homebrew! When I go to trenton for a hockey or baseball game I stop in and Joe is very helpful, AND he carries East Coast Yeasts!

When he has it(they do not produce a lot of it) I get the old Newark ale yeast and do a ballantine clone!!! it is supposed to be the original yeast used by the brewery.

And he does mail order too!!

I live just over a mile from the Sparta store. Good for small items (tubing, hop bags, etc.), but I buy all my grain and yeast from Cask and Kettle. Love spending my money there.

Hey everybody, I've been a HomebrewTalk fan for a long time, and I've been following this thread for a while too. I've got a really important announcement, that I think a lot of you will be interested in. Please spread the word, and tell everyone you know about this. We're opening a new homebrew shop in Downtown Jersey City. Announcement is below:

Announcing The Thirsty Quaker – Homebrew Supplies ∙ Craft Beer ∙ Wine ∙ Spirits

www.thirstyquaker.com

We will be located by Hamilton Park at 492 Monmouth St in Downtown Jersey City, and we'll have a lot to offer the community:
-A wide range of supplies for making beer, wine, mead, and more.
-A great selection of craft beer, wine, and spirits.
-Bulk supplies and scoop-your-own grains.
-Community events like classes, barbecues, and contests.
-Parking! Yes, we have a parking lot!

For a little more information, and to become a part of this, please visit our IndieGoGo campaign at http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-thirsty-quaker-homebrew-supplies-craft-beer

TQ-logo-2-smaller.png

If you're a brewer, or interested in learning more about homebrewing, check out the Jersey City Homebrew Contest at the 4th Street Arts & Music Fest on October 5th:
http://jerseycitybrewclub.com/jersey-city-homebrew-contest/

@thirstyquaker Great news for me! So you're taking the old deli location? I'm on the same block. When do you open?

I could have used you there a month ago when a fly decided to make my starter his swimming pool. Had to make the long trip back to the city in search of new yeast.

There is a place on Route 15 in Sussex county called North Jersey Homebrew that has ingrediemts. About 20 minutes north of the Rockaway Mall. Hope this helps.

I'm not sure if this has been covered here yet, but a new store opened recently in Hackettstown, NJ called Home Brew University. I went there yesterday to check it out. The prices were a little high, but the person who helped me out seemed very knowledgeable.

I could have sworn we already gave an update to everyone, but I guess not. The big news is that we're open! We opened last Tuesday, and the first couple weeks are providing some good lessons in what people want in their LHBS/liquor store. A few things I've learned:
- Everyone loves 4 lb packs of PBW
- Nobody wants Budweiser or Coors
- There will always be someone asking for Heady Topper
- You can never have enough dry yeast
- A lot of people make up recipes on the fly when they arrive
- Once per day, someone will ask if we sell the beer we make

It's been fun so far, and with every day we're getting better and better. Today we got 40 new beers delivered! And the demand for growlers has been so intense that we're trying to get it set up ASAP, which means lots of rare and exciting beers.

Please stop on by, and tell your brewer friends about us. We've got really friendly, helpful staff on hand.

www.thirstyquaker.com
www.facebook.com/thirstyquaker
www.twitter.com/thirstyquaker

@thirstyquaker Great news for me! So you're taking the old deli location? I'm on the same block. When do you open?

I could have used you there a month ago when a fly decided to make my starter his swimming pool. Had to make the long trip back to the city in search of new yeast.

Our location has actually been empty for over 30 years, but we're a couple doors down from Monmouth St Deli, and they have some of the most incredible sandwiches.

I could have sworn we already gave an update to everyone, but I guess not. The big news is that we're open! We opened last Tuesday, and the first couple weeks are providing some good lessons in what people want in their LHBS/liquor store. A few things I've learned:
- Everyone loves 4 lb packs of PBW
- Nobody wants Budweiser or Coors
- There will always be someone asking for Heady Topper
- You can never have enough dry yeast
- A lot of people make up recipes on the fly when they arrive
- Once per day, someone will ask if we sell the beer we make

It's been fun so far, and with every day we're getting better and better. Today we got 40 new beers delivered! And the demand for growlers has been so intense that we're trying to get it set up ASAP, which means lots of rare and exciting beers.

Please stop on by, and tell your brewer friends about us. We've got really friendly, helpful staff on hand.

www.thirstyquaker.com
www.facebook.com/thirstyquaker
www.twitter.com/thirstyquaker

Our location has actually been empty for over 30 years, but we're a couple doors down from Monmouth St Deli, and they have some of the most incredible sandwiches.

Looks good. Checked out the website and you guys have a nice selection of craft beers. Good luck!

Thanks. I forgot about this thread but right on! The homebrew supply side of the business has been open for a few months and we're well stocked. Class schedule has been posted too.

Back