Time estimate from brew pot to glass: Duvel or Ommegang clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpood

Reaction score
Newbie here, getting ready for my fourth batch. I have about 2 1/2 to 3 months to get some special home brew ready for an event. I'm wondering how much time it would take for me to get a batch of Duvel clone or Ommegang Hennepin clone ready to bottle, bottle conditioned, and then chilled adequately. I'm using BYO recipes, which don't give any time estimates. Here are links to the recipes:

Duvel clone: http://byo.com/belgian-strong-ale/item/1743-duvel-belgian-ale-clone

Ommegang Hennepin clone: http://byo.com/belgian-strong-ale/item/1778-brewery-ommegangs-hennepin-ale-clone

Any thoughts about how to go about estimating the time I need to get ready? Would kegging help? (If I can get my hands on a keg....)

Thanks!

I made a Duvel clone once and it took a good 6 months of aging. I tried the beer after 2 weeks and it had a hot alcohol taste. I continued to try it every few weeks and over time the alcohol taste mellowed. I used 22 oz bottles, I'm not sure that kegging would make any difference.

4-6 months.
kegging wont make it faster, just because you pump co2 into it to carb, doesn't mean is conditioned.

2.5 months is really not enough time for a Duvel or Hennepin clone to condition properly. Those beers need time to do their thing. Will your brew be drinkable at 10 weeks? Absolutely. But will it be at its best? Probably not. FWIW i just finished a glass of my 7.4%abv saison, and at only 8 weeks from the brew date, it's pretty dang tasty. A lighter gravity (og) beer should be a little more forgiving with respect to conditioning time, but not always. Dark beers (stouts, porters, etc...) can also take a while condition properly.

Latest posts

Back