dropped an iron in the wert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sturdy begger brewers

Reaction score
pretty self explanatory i dropped an iron in the wert and what now i went along with the rest of the process but what are the possible results i could be looking at

I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, but how did you manage to drop an iron into your wort? Sorry, I just gotta ask...

The only way that you would have any cause for concern is if you dropped in in there after it had coled significantly (160 or lower).

What I would do is rack the beer into another vessel. If you have two buckests rack from one into the other.

yes, i dropped a clothing iron into the wert. i was using a slop sink filled with ice to cool the wert. i was stirring and in goes the iron, only about 3/4 of the iron got in before i pulled it out. The wert was about 110 degrees f when it happened. Am i totally screwed.

Only time will tell. There's nothing you can do but wait. There's an increased risk of infection because you dropped an un-sanitized object into your wort. You'll likely wind up with drinkable beer. RDWHAHB.

Odds are that you'll be ok, but next time try to be more careful and keep the household appliances away from your brews! :drunk:

Since we get about one "I dropped XYZ into my wort" a day, I would like to try and offer a logical/general response. Here goes:

Assuming what you dropped in wasn't toxic (i.e. jar of bug killer), you have three potential outcomes.

A) You throw out the batch.
B) Wait. Complete the brew. It tastes like crap. Go to step A
C) Wait. Complete the brew. It tastes great.

Outcome A is the only one you can control, and it makes no sense as long as C remains a possibility. The selection of B or C is out of your control and both require that you complete the brew.

Putting it like that, is there any logical course of action other than RDWHAHB? :tank:

This has the makings of another legendary thread.

Dropping an iron into the wort. Never heard that one.

Was it plugged in?
Were you ironing clotes?
Was it on "steam" setting? :)

I think you'll be fine.

Though I'm not sure that any beer in the hands of someone who drops an iron into their beer is safe. :D

Yuri_Rage said:
Looks like someone's taking a philosophy class.

I wish. Back to the days of carefree living where beer, sex, and Friday's exam were all that you had to worry about...

At least I still have beer...

I would suggest calling it steam beer but a certain san fransisco brewery may take issue with that.

Frankly it's got pretty good odds of being fine, especially if you get a really energetic initial fermentation.

Between my Pop and I we've had numerous 'accidents' with wort and still made perfectly good beer.

Kid playing in wort, dog drinking it, dropped items in it---- the list goes on. The fact is, as much as homebrewer forums and clubs obsess over sanitation, fermentation is a vigorous process that is pretty fault tolerant and 'sanitary' has a much broader definition than a lot of people seem to think it does.

I usually end up with an ant my starter, because I let the wort cool down on the stove and don't notice the stupid little bugger until he is floating dead and upside down in the yeast starter. I hate ants. I think they live in my walls...

kornkob said:
Kid playing in wort, dog drinking it, dropped items in it---- the list goes on. The fact is, as much as homebrewer forums and clubs obsess over sanitation, fermentation is a vigorous process that is pretty fault tolerant and 'sanitary' has a much broader definition than a lot of people seem to think it does.

I tend to agree. For instance, in a discussions on yeast harvesting/re-use we talk about sterilizing vessels, flaming mouths, sanitizing the entire area around your work site, etc. Yet a the same time we bottle that same mixture, store it on a dusty shelf for months, and drink away...

I guess it'll be fine. Definitely one of the stranger objects I've heard about!

However, I just now racked my beer and wine into secondary. I'm positively nuts sanitation. I brew alone in my kitchen. At the bottom of my primary fermenter after racking, I just found a guitar pick. Now, how did that get in there?

(By the way, no one in this house has touched a guitar in at least a year.)

Usually when people talk about steam injection, they mean for the mash, not dropping an appliance into the wort. =)

Yooper Chick said:
However, I just now racked my beer and wine into secondary. I'm positively nuts sanitation. I brew alone in my kitchen. At the bottom of my primary fermenter after racking, I just found a guitar pick. Now, how did that get in there?

Haha. I just emptied my shop vac and found one of it's wheels that I have been missing for over a year. How do you suck up a caster and not notice it?!?

So i was also there when Sturdy (scott) dropped the Iron in the wort. I gave him hell (still do) and i have to thank you guys. I'm witty and all, but there was no way that i could have come up with all these zingers. So thank you for making Scott feel bad about this. Maybe he won't drop anything in our next batch.

Back