Coffee Porter Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCoy

Reaction score
This will be my second brew, and I would like to do a coffee porter. I formulated a partial mash recipe based on what I read from a selection of recipes (several from this forum), but wanted some input, particularly on the subject of extract vs. partial mash. My first beer was partial mash, but I had difficulty controlling the temperature, as I just steeped the grain bag in the kettle and tried to balance the temperature by setting the burner to a higher or lower intensity depending on the current temperature. So if you have thoughts on that (whether I should just go full extract + specialty grains or whether I should try a different or even the same partial mash strategy), I'd love to hear them.

Here's the recipe I was thinking of:

1.5lb Maris Otter
1lb C120
4oz black patent
4oz chocolate malt
6oz roast barley
5lbs light DME
1.5oz Fuggles boiling
.5oz Fuggles finishing

I'd steep the grains in 1 gallon of water for an hour at 155* F, then sparge with 2 gallons at 170* F, bring to a boil and add the DME and the Fuggles. I'd add Hallertauer hops and Whrilfloc at 50 minutes. At 60 minutes, flame-out. I plan to add cold extracted coffee at bottling.

Or I could ditch the partial mash and just steep everything but the Maris Otter (replacing it with more extract) for 15 minutes before starting my boil.

I'm also totally unsure of what yeast to use.

Thoughts?

First advice Ive given on here.
Thats a lot of roasted barley. Ive used 2 oz and thought it strong. If you are looking for coffee flavor Id dial it back to 1oz personally.

As for yeast you could go a bunch of different ways but I would guess any british ale yeast would go well. Just make sure your FG is good, those yeast strains tend to flocculate out quickly. Made some Poor Richard bottle bombs last fall with a FG of 24. Made another batch and stirred it up after a few days. Got the FG down to 12 that time.

Im doing a coffee porter soon and will also add the coffee at the end. I figure it will give me a chance to play with ratios prior to committing 5 gallons of the stuff. Im going to take a glass of the beer and hit it with a couple Tbl of cold press coffee and see what I think. Then adjust from there.

I know northern brewer has marris otter extract. You could give that a try instead of trying to do the stovetop mash. I use a cooler mash tun and it works great.

This post is a few weeks old so you may have already done it. If so hows it going?

My last batch of beer was a coffee stout. I steeped 4 oz of ground decaf coffee in a quart of water overnight, and then added the coffee to the bottling bucket. For me, and being my first time using coffee as an adjunct My first taste was not coffee enough, so I ran more water over the ground coffee, Panic mode now as I don't want to keep the lid off the secondary/bottling bucket forever. To make a long story short, I now wish I had NOT added the second batch of coffee for 2 reasons; 1) is the coffee is really prominent in the beer, and 2) I didn't know how much additional bitterness the coffee would add. The beer is still very drinkable, and I am hoping the coffee will mellow with time.

The Maris Otter extract sounds appealing, but it's a little bit on the pricey side when shipping is added in. I ended up increasing the roasted barley to 8 oz and decreasing the black patent to 2 oz, and adjusting the C120 down to 12 oz. I couldn't get Fuggles so I used Kent Goldings instead. I decided to simply use US-05.

When I sampled the wort after taking my gravity reading, it didn't taste overly bitter or roasty, so I'm hoping that the roasted barley doesn't prove too overpowering, but of course that character will be more forward after the sugar is fermented out.

It took nearly 72 hours to start showing fermentation, but it's been going strong for a bit over two days now and has blown off a bit of krausen. I think the most vigorous part is over. Tonight I'll probably exchange the blowoff tube for an airlock. I've been trying to keep it around 70 degrees (read by the fermometer) simply by controlling the temperature of the room - I don't have a swamp cooler setup or anything yet.

I'm looking forward to taking my first gravity reading in a couple weeks, although I'm a bit concerned about the roasted malts now. Most recipes I'd seen out there have comparable amounts of roast in them though, so who knows how it'll come out.

This has turned out terrible. I think the yeast threw all kinds of off-flavors. The smell of it kind of ashy and a bit like rubber. I'm having a hard time placing it, but I'm trying to avoid the word "band-aid" because I know that means polyphenols and I'm pretty sure that's what it is, but I don't want to jump to conclusions. The taste is harsh, and clings on the tongue for a long time. You can definitely taste it on any burps. It is very much like a burnt, rubbery type taste.

I think I massively underpitched. I rehydrated the yeast, but neglected to stir it so most of the solids sedimented to the bottom of the pot and never made it into the fermenter when I pitched. This explains the long lag time, and maybe also the off-flavors. Additionally, fermentation was violent for about 2 days, throwing blow-off despite a gallon of headspace (I haven't had it happen before or since), then suddenly stopped. During this stage it was throwing solvent smells out of the airlock. Then about 2 weeks later the krausen reappeared and the airlock started bubbling again, this time throwing really strong fruit smells, tending towards rotten fruit, still with a bit of a solvent undertone. The gravity sample tasted pretty awful, much like it does now but with very strong astringency (which remains to some degree).

Between the two "stages" of fermentation, the temperature suddenly dropped by about 6 degrees, but it's hard for me to know if this was because the fermentation calmed down or because the ambient temperature went down. Either way, fermentation never went over 72 degrees F.

P.S. I've already let it sit a few extra weeks to condition out the off flavors. It's still awful. Next week when I bottle up my next brew, I will probably dump this one.

Back