Advice on Enclosure Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jps101

Reaction score
All, thanks in advance for any thoughts you are willing to share. Planning a eBIAB build one 5500w element, 1 pump, emergency off switch, power on light, alarm buzzer along, power on key, element on switch and a pod 2352 most likely. What are your thoughts on H x W X D. Seems from what I have read I don't want to be any less deep than 6".

Again, thanks for the help

Id look for something thats around 12" H x 8" W x 6" D.

but what you might want to do is draw up the envelope dimensions of each of your components in a CAD system and lay them out.

Or, if your more comfortable. Draw some full size templates of your components out on paper, and rearrange them how you'd like and it will be pretty evident what size box you will need

Thanks. I have been playing around with the cad drawing, but as you know, real word can sometimes be different than the drawn out world...change orders!

Be really careful with the depth. If you go with a 6-inch, there's not enough space for a contactor and the PID together. So when you lay it out internally, make sure they are offset so you can actually close the lid :) Otherwise go for an 8-inch deep enclosure which won't have this problem.

But when you're laying it out, also make sure your PIDs don't hit the power socket or the element socket by keeping them in the middle of the panel. The switches aren't usually a problem because they're only a couple inches deep.

Be really careful with the depth. If you go with a 6-inch, there's not enough space for a contactor and the PID together. So when you lay it out internally, make sure they are offset so you can actually close the lid :) Otherwise go for an 8-inch deep enclosure which won't have this problem.

But when you're laying it out, also make sure your PIDs don't hit the power socket or the element socket by keeping them in the middle of the panel. The switches aren't usually a problem because they're only a couple inches deep.

Thanks...that is exactly some of the feedback I was looking for...very valuable

Check out some of the controller builds that have used tool boxes for enclosures - they are wide and deep, albeit not very tall. Also portable and cheap.

Calculate how big you think the enclosure should be and then buy one about twice as big. Seriously, you got some good advice about the depth. If I had mine to do over, I would have two control panels. One for all the controls, PIDs and switches and the other for all the high amperage stuff, e.g., contactors, SSRs, outlets, fuses or breakers and distribution blocks.

The bigger the better...I guess to a point. Mine is 12x12x6 with 2 elements and 2 pumps with 4 temp probes. Personal I'd like to add on to mine but it's as tight of a fit as I can get it right now. So Ill most likely be getting a larger panel soon.

Get you components and lay them out and measure what you will need for them to fit in comfortably, and think if you might want to expand your operations one day and how you might wan't to incorporate it in to your panel.

See my enclosure before and after several revisions:
cpinside.jpg

brewing%2520009.jpg

Or, if your more comfortable. Draw some full size templates of your components out on paper, and rearrange them how you'd like and it will be pretty evident what size box you will need
+1 to that. It's really the only way to know. That's what I did:

IMG_0797.jpg

Remember too that it's not just what you see on the outside. You need to leave room on the inside so that you can wire. Switches and buttons come in 22mm and 30mm size. 22mm is what most people use here as we don't need the larger 30mm size. You want to leave a good 2.5 to 3" between centers on 22mm switches to make them ergonomically easy to use.

Kal

I have 1 PID, 4 switches, 1 emergency switch, 2 contactors, ssr, Internal heatsink all in a 12x14x6 enclosure and plenty of room to spare. Key to note is that the measurements may not be accurate for some enclosures or may be outside measurements, so if you can get the box in person before you buy it. Mine is supposed to be a 12x14x6 but all outside measurements are 1/4 inch bigger so the internal space was bigger than I expected.

Back