Missed my pre-boil gravity, table sugar or DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfinleyui

Reaction score
About 10 minutes into a boil on my first BIAB, looks like I missed my pre-boil gravity by quite a bit, about .011, due to poor efficiency. Recipe in my signature.

What's the best way to correct this? Go find some extra light DME? How much do I add? Need quick answers, as I'm in the middle of my boil now.

That's fine. You'll have to do the math to figure out how much. DME generally adds 45 points per pound per gallon. So, figure out how much your post-boil is going to be off and then divide that by 45 and multiply by your batch size.

Ended up having to go to two different stores to find some light DME (briess light pilsen was as close as i could find). boiled that in a gallon of water, cooled it, added that along with another gallon of top-off to 5 gallons. Missed what Beersmith said I would get, but made it to the exact OG from the recipe, waiting for the yeast to finish rehydrating, wort's sitting at 68 ready to go. should turn out to be beer in the end.

Learning experience, for sure.

-Learned I don't have room for all grain in my kitchen.
-Learned I can boil 4 gallons of wort by spanning two burners.
-Learned paint strainer bags are excellent for filtering the wort on the way into primary.
-Learned that strained pellet hop trub looks just like really high-quality herb
-Learned no matter what, i'll need to make a last-minute run to the LHBS to get something i forgot

It'll be beer, and assuming the rules of this forum hold true, probably my best brew to date.

bfinleyui said:
Learning experience, for sure.

-Learned that strained pellet hop trub looks just like really high-quality herb
-

Ha ha, that made me laugh aloud.

Ha ha, that made me laugh aloud.

I mean, it does....
XGCjr.png

Back