Just wondering......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Cat

Reaction score
I usually tape a piece of handwritten paper on my carboy with the Brew Date,Secondary date Type of brew, OG, FG, ABV, etc and was wondering what others do or if there is a form that can be downloaded and attached.....

Get beersmith great computer program u can print brew sheet a step by step sheet even a shopping list it has all info on it.

I use hopville.com and their beer calculus to formulate my recipes and calculate the strike water temperature and amount for my all grain mashes. When I think I'm satisfied I print out both on a sheet of paper double sided. I keep that paper with the beer until it is all gone so I can reference when something goes right or wrong.

I uses Brewersfriend.com for my recipe formulation, then save all the particulars about that batch in an excel spreadsheet.

I have recipes in a note book and keep track of every thing in the note book.
If i have more than one brew going at a time (and I usually do) I put a post it note on the fermenter or secondary with the beer name type gravity readings and brew date, secondary date what ever info I need.

I just rename each recipe in Beer smith with the brew date on it. When I need to know specifics or log FG or check on dryhop dates, I just go back to that specific recipe. I can tell you everything about every beer I've ever brewed right from the laptop.

I also take uber copious notes on brewday in the (wait for it...) "Notes" section!

Beersmith keeps me on track and I love that the new version now has mash and boil timers! I did a double batch last week for the first time and the timers kept me on top of each brew every step of the way.

Edit: Regarding keeping track of carboys, since I've never had more then 4 carboys with beer in them at one time, and the beer types are usually distinct, I don't need to label. However if I'm doing a pale ale and an IPA or similar beers right next to each other in the fermenter I use the blue painters tape to mark them as well.

I put a publish it observe on the fermented or additional with the alcohol name kind severity parts and produce time frame, additional time frame what ever details I need.

I usually tape a piece of handwritten paper on my carboy with the Brew Date,Secondary date Type of brew, OG, FG, ABV, etc and was wondering what others do or if there is a form that can be downloaded and attached.....

I use both Promash and a spiral notebook to record that info.

Back