Too much pressure??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickwitch

Reaction score
Hi all
This is my first batch of cider I've made.
I've barrelled it an after a week of barrelling i noticed a drip on the tap which is fully closed so i released some of the pressure by unscrewing the cap a little an the drip stopped only to start again when the pressure built up.
Any ideas of how to stop this happening.
Cheers Mark

So you are using a wooden barrel. (?)
Depending on what stage the cider was ... if it was still experiencing active ferment (or for that matter MLF) you might consider a fermentation bung.
If the cider was already still ... did you put it into a warmer environment after barreling? ... or for that matter does the environment where you are storing the barrel have temperature fluctuations? ... that could do it. (think "wine cellar") If this is the case, store the barrel somewhere where there is no temp fluctuation and let the cider temperature stabilize.
Did you swell the barrel before filling it? If not, then as the barrel swells from the cider the drip may stop in a week or two.

Hi I've got it in a plastic barrel it was flat when i barrelled it an it's been stored in the same place as it was fermented. Do i need to cool it now?

You said it starts dripping when the pressure builds back up. Why is there pressure building if the temperature is stable and there is no fermentation activity?

I would think that in most normal circumstance your barrel and tap should not leak. If the pressure is not that great then you might have a faulty barrel/tap.
In any regard you could still install an airlock to relieve pressure.

As far as "cooling it", in general you want to store the cider in a stable, cool environment. So if it is in a warm area of the house, put it in the basement or cellar or even in the icebox.

Hi when i unscrew the cap slightly it releases the pressure an the tap stops dripping so i know the tap is ok. Cheers

Back