Stainless steel passivation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMGK

Reaction score
OKay so I recently completely use a 60 grit sanding polishing metal pad to sand an entire stainless steel drum I acquired. It looks great. The only dark spot were along the welds at the base and running up the side which are now gone. Is there anything else I need to do? I read all sort of information on this but have had no issues with keggles I have done like this in the past. Thanks

Polish as much as possible, which would require much finer than 60 grit. Passivation refers to the use of acid to clean contaminates from deeper in the metal itself, where caustics cannot reach. If you are using it for a mash tun or kettle, I would not even worry about it, but a fermenter I would, unless you heat sanitize which would require lots of hot water.

As a last step, I would go over all parts scrubbing with bar keeper's friend. It has oxalic acid in it, which will help to remove any remaining contaminates, and allow the stainless to passivate properly.

+1 for Barkeepers Friend, that stuff is amazing. Get a damp cloth and pour the powdered form on it, rub it on as a thick paste. After that wipe it off with another damp cloth and rinse, stuff works like magic. Fun side note, the same method works to remove rust that has already formed with almost no effort

Back