Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agh. I just ordered this. For some reason my postage comes up as US to canada. The seller is in Vancouver BC for gods sake!! $12 USD for shipping that to kelowna? I don't think so. Unless it's couriered.. and it seems to be "standard" delivery.. so i'm guessing Canada post.

OK 2 diplomas and 25 years computer exoerince yet I am a relative ebay newb.

Nice price. I got this one Ebay for $38.50 shipped. I got 0-32% because of a few other posters getting that and saying it'll work.

jdoiv, 0-80 scale is over kill for what we're using this for. Yes it will work because it measures sugar in solution.

The problem with trying to determine final gravity with a refractometer is that the alcohol will throw the reading off. Their may be a way to adjust for this however. I currently use my refractometer for OG and my hydrometer for FG

Also people that keep bees use the higher ones to test the purity of their honey.. also maple syurp is minimum of 66 brix by law..

Thanks! Just snatched one as I've been looking for a reasonably priced one for a bit. I use ProMash too so that should work well to convert it. :mug:

Brewtopia said:
The problem with trying to determine final gravity with a refractometer is that the alcohol will throw the reading off. Their may be a way to adjust for this however. I currently use my refractometer for OG and my hydrometer for FG

Promash has a calculator for this under:
[Utilities] - [Refractomoter] - [Specific Gravity during fermentation]

Promash has a calculator for this under:
[Utilities] - [Refractomoter] - [Specific Gravity during fermentation]

Hey, look at that...boy do I feel dumb. It was there right under my nose all the time. :eek:

No worries. Took me a while to notice that too. I just got my hudrometer today from ebay.

Beersmith has a refractomter tool as well.

Interesting. If you take a FG reading with bith the refractometer AND the hydrometer, the tool will tell you what your OG was. As well as abv etc.

So does anyone have a conversion chart for a refractometer designed for salinity? That'd be great if I could use the one I already have, the question is, is how close is the refractive index of salt to sugar?

Sweet, mine came in today. I'll probably be obessively compulsively checking gravity while I'm mashing Saturday just because I can now.

Heh, yeah they kind of do.

Is it okay to calibrate with reverse osmosis water? The directions say distilled, but I don't have any of that on hand.

I recently bought an old used one off ebay for $10 (I squeek when I walk). It came with a old leather case... it's got character. In preperation for my next brew, I decided to calibrate it with distilled water and test it with sugar water tonight. Comparing it with my hydrometer it is spot on with Beersmiths refractometer tool.

I'm gonna love this thing! :rockin:

Anyone have much actual experience with using a refractometer during fermentation? Not just with how to run the calculations, but in terms of how accurate it can possibly be? I know there is already an inherent problem since refractometers are made to measure plain sugar solutions, and wort has a lot of other junk in it, which is why calculators like beersmith have a calibration value to compensate - but I don't know whether this value really needs to be accurately reset for every individual batch.

I ask because I have used mine this way a few times (using the beersmith calculator and all) and I heard someone saying that it wasn't accurate to do this. So the other day I got curious and tested it side-by-side against a hydrometer and it was way off. Now, my experiment was very poorly controlled (I didn't record a very accurate OG reading before fermentation, I haven't properly set the calibration value used in beersmith, etc) so I am hoping that when I do a more controlled experiment that it will turn out to be accurate - but that'll have to wait for a future batch. I am just hoping that it is not an unavoidable, inherent inaccuracy in using this method due to the very different ways that hydrometers and refractometers work, and how dissimilar worts for different beer styles can be.

In any case, I'd like to hear some personal experiences with it if anyone has any to share.

mykayel said:
So does anyone have a conversion chart for a refractometer designed for salinity? That'd be great if I could use the one I already have, the question is, is how close is the refractive index of salt to sugar?
2+ BUMP
I have one for saltwater too, can anyone help us?

I just bought a 0-32% one. The 0-44% seemed like overkill and they didn't have the 0-38%. I've been wanting one of these. I need one for my aquarium too. Can you use the same one for saltwater or is it a different kind of refractometer?

I'm not completely sold on refractometers. I've calibrated mine and done side by side measurements vs a hydrometer and can't seem to get consistent enough results to trust it. Every time I do a side by side, the correction factor is slightly different in beersmith. I used it last weekend in the garage where it was ~40F and it read differently when I took it inside...11.6 vs. 12 Brix. I'll keep trying it though...it'd be great if I could feel confident that it's giving me the right number.

I'm not completely sold on refractometers. I've calibrated mine and done side by side measurements vs a hydrometer and can't seem to get consistent enough results to trust it. Every time I do a side by side, the correction factor is slightly different in beersmith.

I've noticed, that even the readings in the same conditions are inconsistent. I took a glass of wort, and made a dozen or so measurements in row, they differed up to 1 Brix; different values from 12 to 13 Brix.

yeah...no thanks. I'm way too detail oriented to use a piece of equipment with that much error. Need to get one of those $2K digital hydrometers.

in my dreams

2+ BUMP
I have one for saltwater too, can anyone help us?

If you do a search under refractometer you will find a discussion on this from a few weeks ago. I would try and explain but you would probably get more out of reading the post.

Back