secondary questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulger

Reaction score
I have two beers in my secondary right now, my first two all grains: esb and witbier.

As I was watching my airlock on my primary this morning I noticed that my esb in my better bottle also bubbled, it’s been in the secondary for two weeks. I noticed the star san was bubbly in the airlock so i took of its t-shirt and noticed that there was a layer of bubbles on the surface (not like krausen). What could this be from, I wondered if it may be because the better bottle is plastic.

My wit bier has been in the secondary for a week, I mashed it too high so it stopped fermenting at 1.02+. There are also seems to be bubbles somewhat similar but not as much. However, they are look more like white specs, possible infection because of the low alcohol content? I was wondering if this is normal with wits (my first beer that was light in color). I shook it gently a little bit and some of them sunk to the bottom so I am thinking they could be yeast but they are white (i can’t remember what yeast i used dry yeast blue package). It smells fine so I am sure its alright I was just wondering if anyone else ever noticed this.

The bubbles in the esb are most likely just CO2 coming out of solution. Changes in temperature and/or barometric pressure will cause this spontaneously and have nothing to do with fermentation or infection.

The other is probably the same with the addition of bits of yeast being carried to the surface with the CO2 bubbles. I have seen this happen many times. Try removing the airlock and taking a whiff. If there is an infection at work, you should get a sour smell. It is most likely okay.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Back