honey...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raffie

Reaction score
I seen a few beers that have you put 1lb of honey in 45 minutes into boiling then 4oz in the last 5 minutes.

Doing honey like this is for flavor like hops at the end of brewing?

to tell me know one knows?

It was in the Bieken beer receipt I saw how they added the honey.

Honey boiled with the wort for 30 minutes will give you a mild honey flavor. Boiling for 10 minutes will give you more aroma.

My house beer has honey in it. I add it @ 15 mins. left in the boil. The later you add it, the more honey flavor you'll get. The earlier you add it; the less flavor. Both will add alcohol and a bit of dryness to the beer. You can counteract the dryness my adding specialty grains.

ok, so honey and hops act the same for flavor and aroma pretty much.

mostly alcohol and not a lot of flavor. if you are looking for the aroma or flavor of honey adding it this way may be a little disappointing as these are very subtle in my opinion. Honey is very fermentable, so most of it gets used up and turns into alcohol....not that that's a bad thing. :cross:

loop

Raffie said:
ok, so honey and hops act the same for flavor and aroma pretty much.

Almost anything cooked will react the same way. The most sensitive elements of something with taste and aroma is the part you can smell. The more you cook it, the more it boils off...

If you want honey flavor, add some Honey Malt grains in your steep/mash. A little will go a long way.

That being said, I'm adding honey to my next batch... just for the hell of it I think.

kvh

Back