Store bought juice unfiltered?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKFM

Reaction score
I am currently trying a basic hard cider recipe. It’s been fermenting about 2 weeks but still seems cloudy. There is about a cm of sediment on the bottom, and the airlock releases a bubble every few minutes. I choose a store bought gallon of pasteurized apple juice, but I don’t know if it is filtered or not. I assume it was since it’s from concentrate, but is that necessarily so? Is it possible to have store bought apple juice and still be unfiltered?

I don’t mind it being cloudy, but maybe I should rack it or bottle it and give it some time?

RK

Recipe:
1 gallon of apple juice
3/4 cup of sugar
1 tsp of yeast nutrient
1 packet of K1V-1116

When i made my first cider, i used trader joes brand unfiltered apple cider. I took a while for all of the sediment to fall out, but it cleared up. Not perfectly clear, but not bad either.

Fair warning, ciders can take a while to be "good". I primary cider for 1 month, then secondary for 1 month, then condition in bottle for 3 months. I (and wifey) wont even consider tasting before he 3 month bottle mark. It seems like a long time, but once you have a pieline going its fine and the cider tastes way better.

2 weeks? The yeast is still quite active and in suspension. I usually ferment 2-4 weeks (depends on my schedule) and secondary about the same. Then it goes in the keg, and will eventually find its way into the kegerator. Once it's in there, it'll clarify nicely.

If it hasn't clarified well when you're ready to keg, you can add 1 tsp of gelatin (that you've rehydrated in 1/2 cup of water and diluted over heat but NOT boiled) and put that at the bottom of the keg before racking.

M_C

There are more and more unfiltered apple juice/cider products on the market these days. I think an unfiltered will generally lead to a tastier product as filtering, while making the juice clear, does take out some of the elements that add flavor. It should clear fine, given the time, unless it was heat pasteurized, which is quite likely, in which case it may not clear completely. If it tastes good, though, who cares?

You might not have a great flavour from concentrate. 100% juice is much better apparently...

But yeah, certainly give it time, cider is a much slower fermenter than beer. I usually wait until the primary is totally clear before racking off!

I used Simply Apple and it never cleared, I had it crash cooling for over a month in tertiary. I see no issue. It tastes great, that's about all that matters.

Back