3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skeezerpleezer,
I'm gonna brew this up in the next week or two and I will be at DLD as well with a big group of friends. Would like to chance to meet up and share some brews. Shoot me a PM.

Fermenting right now. Hit just under the OG at 1.062, Smelled fantastic! Adding the dry hops in a few days. I will be using whole leaf, I can just throw them in the secondary right?

Just curious. I plugged the numbers into beersmith for the extract version, and it estimates
a starting gravity of 1.055, that's different than what you posted.
I am using a 3 gallon - 60 minute boil, 5 gallon total.

What about upping the extra light DME by a pound, and increase the other hop additions to achieve the right gravity/ibus?

Threetall said:
Just curious. I plugged the numbers into beersmith for the extract version, and it estimates
a starting gravity of 1.055, that's different than what you posted.
I am using a 3 gallon - 60 minute boil, 5 gallon total.

What about upping the extra light DME by a pound, and increase the other hop additions to achieve the right gravity/ibus?

Did you set it as a partial mash or extract? Either way, if you want to bump it up it should be fine. Just add a little to the first hop addition to get the ibus up, the rest should be fine.

Jamison- I have never used that yeast, so dont know much about it.

I brewed the extract version of this up on Sunday 4/1 ... only my 4th brew session!
I love the smell of those Citra hops.
I used 1.5 pkgs of the Safale 04 dry yeast rehydrated for about an hour prior to pitching.
Fermentation was exploding thru the blowoff hose in 12-14 hours
I had one bottle of the real thing so I drank that during the brewing session. Now I need to get more for comparision once this is ready. My first two brews are not anything to brag about so I'm just hoping this is good. Anything remotely close to Zombie and I will be extremely happy.

Thanks for the recipe!

Did you set it as a partial mash or extract? Either way, if you want to bump it up it should be fine. Just add a little to the first hop addition to get the ibus up, the rest should be fine.

Jamison- I have never used that yeast, so dont know much about it.

I set it as an extract brew. Also I've heard that citra produces off flavors when used as a bittering hop (60 minute addition)?

What if I just remove the 60 min addition and just hop burst for 20 mins of the boil?

I brewed the extract version of this up on Sunday 4/1 ... only my 4th brew session!
I love the smell of those Citra hops.
I used 1.5 pkgs of the Safale 04 dry yeast rehydrated for about an hour prior to pitching.
Fermentation was exploding thru the blowoff hose in 12-14 hours
I had one bottle of the real thing so I drank that during the brewing session. Now I need to get more for comparision once this is ready. My first two brews are not anything to brag about so I'm just hoping this is good. Anything remotely close to Zombie and I will be extremely happy.

Thanks for the recipe!

Hey Players, I brewed it 2 weeks ago. Its still in the primary but tastes pretty good as is. When it gets dry hopped and carved it will only be better. I never had the original but it seems like a good one.

Hey Players, I brewed it 2 weeks ago. Its still in the primary but tastes pretty good as is. When it gets dry hopped and carved it will only be better. I never had the original but it seems like a good one.

^^^ good to hear that. You did the extract version?
Two weeks in primary huh? Is that the norm for this beer? I read the whole thread but I failed to write down what the normal fermentation process has been. I was thinking it was more like 7 days primary then secondary for 10 days when I add the dry hops. ??
I just want a good beer. My first batch tastes like dish soap:(

I'm going to brew this on Sunday....think I'll use the Bell's yeast I washed from my 2 hearted clone. What do you think? Or should I just get some 1968?

I just brewed this on Sunday, and after 74 batches of beer, I have never smelled the goodness coming from the blowoff bucket that is coming from this. It's like someone squirted and orange peel in my face. This is going to be a long five weeks...

^^^ good to hear that. You did the extract version?
Two weeks in primary huh? Is that the norm for this beer? I read the whole thread but I failed to write down what the normal fermentation process has been. I was thinking it was more like 7 days primary then secondary for 10 days when I add the dry hops. ??
I just want a good beer. My first batch tastes like dish soap:(

Its whatever you like really. I normally do 1 week but I had surgery this week so 2 weeks it is :) Ya I did the extract too. I keep it in a primary the whole time. Ill just dry hop it for 10 days then bottle it when Im ready :)

So are most of you guys doing a FWH with Citra?

I'm concerned about using this hop early in the boil.

So are most of you guys doing a FWH with Citra?

I'm concerned about using this hop early in the boil.

I think the FWH is fine. But I am concerned about a 60 minute addition for the extract version.
Thinking about doing this schedule (set up as partial mash):

1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 1 11.8 %
8.0 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.9 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.9 %
8.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.9 %
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - First Wort 20.0 min Hop 5 15.6 IBUs
1 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 6 11.8 %
0.75 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 21.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 17.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 9.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 11 2.0 IBUs
5 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 12 58.8 %
3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days

Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 8.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 65.6 IBUs

Brewing my second batch of this on Tuesday, along with an Alpha King clone. It will probably be my last chance to brew until fall. Way too many projects to do : (

I'm on my 3rd day of dry hopping. I plan on going 10 days (until next Sunday). Should I cold crash 2 days before the 10th day or wait until the 10th day?

Citra works fine for FWH, and I have never had any off flavors using it early in the boil. Are the people that are saying Citra creates off flavors when used early the same ones that say Summit leaves an onion/garlic taste? Because I don't get that either and use Summit quite often (no one that has tried my beers have said that either). Everyone has their own opinion when it comes to hops, so it is probably best to form your own opinion. If you want to conserve some Citra on the extract version, you could use another hop for the 60min addition to get your ibus up.

Hopacolypse- you should be fine doing either method. My typical method is Primary, secondary (dryhop), rack to keg and cold crash for a few days, carbonate/add gelatin if using it, drink. I skip the secondary and dryhop in primary sometimes, depending on if I want to harvest the yeast or not.

I still cannot understand how to FWH so I did the 60 min addition so far it tasted good. I looked up several threads but I need some one to spell it out for me :p

Just brewed this yesterday, man what a great smell. OG came in at 1.066 using BIAB with a dunk sparge. Pitched about 6pm using my harvested Bell's yeast, and it's churning away like a champ this morning.

I still cannot understand how to FWH so I did the 60 min addition so far it tasted good. I looked up several threads but I need some one to spell it out for me :p

From my understanding......The FWH ( first wort hops) is added to the high gravity first runnings of your sparge. You would mash your grains, then add the hops to your boil kettle, then run your first sparge into the kettle. The hops then sit in the first runnings till your second runnings are ready. You run off the rest of your sparge, then boil as normal. I just did this yesterday , but I use BIAB, so I used 1.50qt per pound and held the rest of my strike water back in a separate pot. Did my mash as usual, then pulled the grain bag and added the hops to the high gravity wort. Then I put my grain bag into the second pot of heated strike water (kind of like a dunk sparge). If you are doing extract, I think you would add at about 20 mins left in the boil.(not sure about this) The recipe says FWH...20mins... That is just to estimate the IBU's that a FWH will give you as most recipe programs don't have a way to account for a FWH addition in their IBU calculations.

Again, I'm not an expert on this, so if there is someone with more knowledge on this please chime in/correct any inaccuracies in my description.:mug:

Whitehause nailed it. I think the idea is that sitting in the mash/sparge temp wort helps preserve some of the flavor and aroma through the boil, and also adds some bitterness.

You would mash your grains, then add the hops to your boil kettle, then run your first sparge into the kettle. The hops then sit in the first runnings till your second runnings are ready. You run off the rest of your sparge, then boil as normal.

This assumes a batch sparge. My explanation above is for any way you sparge.

I brewed this up three weeks ago, just took a gravity reading and MAN does this sample taste good. I've never tasted the real zombie dust, but I sure as hell like this beer. Going to pick up the hops for dryhop tomorrow, keg it in 7-10 days.

Opened the 1st bottle tonight. Fantastic aroma and taste for this hop head but it might be too much hops (though not bitter) for others. Maybe drop one or more of the timed additions and mix amarillo in the mix next time.

Zombie%2520Dust%2520Showdown%2520small.jpg

I got a chance to taste my clone side by side with Zombie Dust over the weekend and it was quite interesting.

The colour was close but Zombie Dust was about 1 SRM or so lighter. The hop profiles were quite different though. Mine was some citrus with a big peach flavour, and the Zombie Dust was some citrus with a piney dankness.

I'm starting to doubt weather zombie dust is still all citra. The comercial description no longer mentions citra, so I'm wondering if it may be a blend of citra and something like chinook or simcoe.

I'll post up my recipe and thoughts about changes later tonight probably.

Brewed this a few weeks ago. It's been in the keg for about 8 days.

GM4Gn.jpg

af8BQ.jpg

I think it will clear up a little bit more but I doubt it will be crystal clear. The dry hopping seems to have that impact on my beer.

The aroma is fantastic and the taste is great. I could use a smidge more bitterness.

Having never had the real zombie dust I can't say how close it is but this beer is very good.

I have 2.5 more pounds of citra waiting in my freezer - this will probably be on tap all year long.

Ok superchunk I may be having trouble with brewing terms. Lets say I steep my grain to the appropriate temp and time. Then remove and sparge them. Do the hops then go in at that time? Or am I off base here :)

Dang! I typed up a long response and lost internet connection when I posted.

I'll try to type out the gist of it again, if you want more detail you can PM me.

First off, if you are doing BIAB the following won't apply. Or at least as far as I can tell. I suppose if you BIAB you can just add the hops when you pull the bag out and start heating to boil.

If you batch or fly sparge: once done mashing and starting to collect the runoff just put your hops into the boil pot. That's really all there is to FWH. Nothing in the boil pot but hops. Then start collecting the wort into the hops.

Again, if you need more explanation just PM me or someone else will put it more in layman's terms. There was a decent explanation a page or so back. And this page might do a lot better as there is some video for the explanation: http://billybrew.com/first-wort-hopping

I feel confident this hasn't been discussed on this thread...

Can someone enlighten me how much psi is being put on in a corny keg for this beer? And do I keep the desired psi at a constant until ready to drink?

I usually run around 12-13 psi on the CO2. You can force carbonate higher to get it carbed quicker (I do 30 psi) then dial it back.

Do I spy a recipe for Pumking under that beer?

indeed you do - I had just racked to the keg so I needed to know what to put into it.

I also tossed in half a heavy toast oak spiral.

I am going to brew a 10 gallon batch soon - enough to give a few away to other people.

Back