Re-use Bells mini kegs (5L)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know if you can re-use the mini kegs from Bell's Beer Co out of Kalamazoo MI??? I'd love to put some homebrew in it if somone knows a way for it to work.

Even if its a gravity system - i would be happy with that.

You can but they are a bit hard to clean. At a minimum you will need to buy either a reusable bung or a proper sized stopper for the top of the mini keg. Also, you could buy new 5L mini kegs from here.

I figured it out. The top bung comes out pretty easily, the bottom tap would still work well as long as you have carbonated beer. i found the otehr bung that the guy in the link above used to make his set up. They are sold at midwestsupplies.

Let me know if anyone wants to see pics.

Pics are always good :)
You can get the bungs at Beer-Wine.com ($0.79 each plus shipping), midwest is out of the ones from camiller's link but they do have these that work just as well ($0.95 plus shipping). I have used both types of bungs and they work equally well IMHO, just the kind Midwest has in stock are 3 pieces instead of 2.

(I have also reused an Oberon 5L keg or two for beer. My comment about cleaning in my prior post was related to cleaning the dispensing spigot built into the keg).

You actually cleaned the spiggot? I just flushed the system with near boiling water and then sanitary solution through the spiggot. I found that a bottling brush worked nicely to clean the inside.

So its not possible to force carb in these due to the gravity spigot not holding pressure?

I usually bottle but was considering trying to rig a DIY carbonator powered by a CO2 cartridge bike inflator in the top bung. Some other posts indicated the cartridge powered without a regulator route didnt work as well with PET bottles but was ok for 5L (non heinies) minis.

If it is ok to force carb in an Oberon w/spigot, what kind of head space makes sense?

Thanks!

Force carbing is fine though i did read that u shouldnt let them get to hot or the mini keg could get deformed. So far the 2 that i have are doing fine i just havent had the party to open them.

Back