Ordered my MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since I have no mechanical ability, I had to bite the bullet and order an Igloo MLT already converted from Morebeer.com.

My husband told me to just go ahead and order it (not that I was whining or anything), so I can do AG. Of course, it goes on and on- I don't have a brewpot large enough so I need a bigger brewpot. That was a no-go, so I'm going to have to boil it on the stove in two pots. But that's ok!

Anyway, I'll be getting it soon- morebeer has free shipping!:ban:

Lorena

Brewsmith said:
Which one did you get?

this one:

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=15627

Not the whole thing- just the mash tun, and in a 10 gallon cooler size. I've read all the posts about how easy it is to convert a cooler (and bird had me almost convinced!) but this way it comes all set up with a false bottom and the bulkhead fittings all intact. I'm going to batch sparge, and do the whole thing in my kitchen. I'll be improvising, but I think it'll work fine. If I ever want to go bigger, now I can.

Lorena

If shipping wasn't going to be such a bear, I would have built one for you.

Glad to hear that you're joining the AG crew, though. I guarantee though, that by April, you will own a 210k BTU propane burner and a big stockpot!

beer4breakfast said:
Little by little, Lorena. The gear is expensive, and it takes a while to build up all the cool stuff.

I just ordered two 15.5 gallon keggles with stainless steel valves and temp guages from pedalbiker53 on Ebay. http://stores.ebay.com/keggle-brewing

Should be here end of next week. This will give me three kegs (I've got a 13.2 already) to brew with. 10 gallon AG, here I come.

You're gonna love your MLT.

I was about to recommend one of those, too. That's really a good deal.

Congratulations Lorena! You are going to enjoy the process.
When it's time to get your big brew pot think about getting a converted keg. You can boil 10 gallon batches in it and they are much cheaper than a large stainless pot. You do have to get a propane burner though because a keg wouldn't work to good on the stove.
Enjoy and if you have any questions or problems let us know! :mug:

Lorenae

Why not look at using an electric boiler. Mines 6.5 Gallon and plenty of people use them in the UK for 5 gallon batches. You may be able to find a suitable bucket that's a little larger.

Look at my brew gear.

Hey Beer4Breakfast,

Let us know how those converted kegs work out. I am in the market for a larger brew pot and have also considered ordering one of those kegs. It seems that the price is comparable to the MegaPots and by the time I buy the tools to convert a keg myself, I figure the cost is about the same.

Just let us know the quality of the welds and any problems with delivery.

Thanks in advance

Back