Harvest timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LexusChris

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

My cascades started to show budding sites last week! Is there a rule of thumb as to how many more days until harvest? Or is it really plant/garden dependent. My hops are growing out of state, and I cannot visit them every week. Just trying to plan around my work schedule, for when I can go out and harvest.

I have several cascade, nugget, willamette & centennials... all mid-season maturity I believe.

Thanks,
--LexusChris

Hop_Cones.jpg

usually when mine start showing burrs, I have another 4-6 weeks until the hops are developed enough to harvest. This is my situation though, it could be different for everyone. With your hops being out of state, it's going to be hard to setup just one time to harvest. I harvest mine as they're ready, but they're not always ready at the same time. If you have someone sending you pictures, then I'd wait to harvest until you start seeing some turn brown. At that point, most of them should be ready.

On a side note, you're hops look great from that picture.

Well, 1st four weeks have produced lots of nice looking cones! More than I expected for a 1st year plant.

Thanks for the info Suthrncomfrt1884! Because of my schedule, I'm going to go out the last weekend in August... 3 weeks from now.

Between the cascade, centennial, willamette & nugget plants, some may be a tad over-ripe, but I hope there will be lots of good ones to harvest. I'll learn some on this season, and next year, I'll try to be a bit more accurate on my timing.

Cheers!
--LexusChris

2010_July28_hops_4.jpg

I have some cones that have been full size for at least 6 weeks. I checked them yesterday and They still don't feel papery enough.
To answer your question, location of the plants and the variety of plants will determine how long from burr to harvest.

Back