My New Years Celebration ! ! !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thantos

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
I just thought I would share my New Years celebration and ask for some help in return!

So the evening started with a not so quick trip to BevMo, they were packed! Here is what I picked up!

beer3.jpg

North Coast - Brother Thelonious
Chimay Ale - Grande Reserve (Blue)
Blue Moon - Grand Cru
Sierra Nevada - Estate 2009

On the way back me and the wife stopped at our favorite Sushi place, and with our Shushi and Sake we opened the Chimay Grande Reserve. I was completely blown away ! ! ! This might just be the most amazing beer I have ever had ! ! !

Here is where I need some help. I want to try and clone this in the worst way, so far I have been unable to find any recipes or info on even where to start! Can someone help me out. I would like to start with a simple extract/partial mash recipe to keep the cost down as I will brew this allot till I get it tweeked to where I like then go AG with it.

Thanks in advance....

P.S. I also tried the Blue Moon Grand Cru when we got home, it really did not live up to the hype for me! It actually went the opposite from what I was expecting, it tended to be a very bitter almost sour version of the regular Blue Moon, yet with out the Zesty Orange and Spice I love so much.

Tonight I will break out the Brother Thelonious and the Sierra Estate and give them a go!

Check Phil Markowski's Brew Like A Monk. I seem to remember that there is some talk about the various Chimay beers. Not specific recipes per se but good info on how to formulate. I really enjoyed the book itself and have totally been meaning to buy it but so many other things have gotten in the way.

So that's where I'd start.

goodluck

Todd

Check Phil Markowski's Brew Like A Monk. I seem to remember that there is some talk about the various Chimay beers. Not specific recipes per se but good info on how to formulate. I really enjoyed the book itself and have totally been meaning to buy it but so many other things have gotten in the way.

So that's where I'd start.

goodluck

Todd

Great advice, except Brew Like a Monk was written by Stan Hieronymus. ;)

Markowski wrote the Farmhouse Ales book.

Back