Cheese/ beer cave

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Fedwell

Reaction score
Ready to start making cheese. Ordered my ingredients and have most of the equipment. The cave is the big commitment for so many. I have a chest freezer I use with a controller to ferment my lagers. Most of the cheese recipes call for aging at 54 F, which is acceptable for most of my lager ferments. I have a humidifier from a cigar case that used to be in my store. It is a big thing with a decent sized fan, dial a percentage knob, and holds a quart of water. Am I crazy to put my beer in this thing with cheese in it. I was thinking of building a rack that would fit over the compressor hump, and I could still put two carboys in there. I like the efficiency. I will buy a dedicated cheese cave if this project takes off, but for now?

I'm no expert (only been making cheese a year or two) but I wouldn't put the beer and the cheese in the same area.

The cheese cultures you use are the ones that turn into lactic acid, and then the cheese ages while the cultures work. I keep my cheese items far from my beer items, and don't make cheese and beer in the same week.

I could be wrong, of course, but it just seems to me that the very "infections" I want to avoid in beer are what I'm encouraging in cheese.

Thanks Yooper. Of course not the answer I wanted to here, but confirms my own suspicions. I actually rescued a small piece of commercial refrigeration while moving some stored equipment. Now I just have to see if it will run at 55F without a temp controller. Was trying to avoid this as I already run my house fridge, giant old bar keggerator (holds 12 cornies and is outside), fermenting freezer, etc.. We also pay more for electric than anyone else in the country. I appreciate your input, which is well thought as always. Where are you in the UP. I grew up in Detroit, and used to travel through to Copper Harbor for the Isle Royale ferry every summer(as well as some UP visits/ camping). I always wished I could live up there when I had my life in Michigan. I guess Hawaii will have to do.

Back