Isinglass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mishkin

Reaction score
Just racked my beer to secondary and added some isinglass (finings) in there aswell. Since isinglass clears the beer by making all the yeast settle to the bottom of the fermenter, do you think after 2 weeks in the secondary there will be some yeast left over to carbonate the beer? I can already see a big yeast cake at the bottom a day after I racked it.

I could be wrong, but I thought that all fining agents precipitate long proteins which cause some haze to your beer and have nothing to do with yeast (I'll check on this). Also lower temperature should help beer to clear. What kind beer is it?

My home brewing book says that the isinglass has an opposite charge to the yeast so they stick together and sink to the bottom. Also it's a lager so I have it at pretty cold temperatures at the moment. Should be crystal clear when i bottle it :)

There's two kinds of finings (as far as I know). There's the kind that precipitate long chill-haze causing proteins (irish moss, polyclar); and the kind that settle out yeast (isinglass, gelatine).

There will still be plenty (millions) of yeast in suspension before you bottle. It may take a little longer to carbonate, but not much.

do you think after 2 weeks in the secondary there will be some yeast left over to carbonate the beer?
Most likely but finings like that should be added about 2-3 days max before bottling not right when you rack. If you are not force carbonating what is the purpose of reducing your suspended yeast, only to feed the ones left so they multiply in the bottles?

Back