Raspberry wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
Thinking of doing a raspberry wheat or ale and noticed that their were some threads on this already, what is a good recipe for this type of beer? What type of raspberrys did you youse and how much? thanks:tank:

Gabe - I got a delicious recipe from a long-time brewer that was basically a dunkelweiss with 1.5 to 2 ounces of McCormick's Raspberry extract in the bottling bucket - very very delicious. He told me, and I believe him, that he's tried the fruit puree thing and it was over the top, and that fresh berries dried out the beer - I only have an extract recipe, but can pull it up if you want it.....actually, to save precious elecrons, here it is:

>5 lbs 2-row
>4 lbs wheat
>4 oz Crystal 120°L
>4 oz Belgain Caravienne
>2 oz Special B (all mashed around 152° for 90 minutes)
>
>4.5 AAU of Hallertau, Hersbrucker, Tettnanger or Mt. Hood for 60 mins
>Wyeast 1056
>
>Extract:
>
>Steep the specialty grains (crystal, caraveinne, special b) at 150° for 30 minutes and add 6 lbs of wheat DME (wheat DME is already 45% wheat, 55% barley so the percentage would be right there). Use the same hop schedule and yeast.
>
>Add 2 tbsp of McCormick natural raspberry extract at bottling.
>
>OG: 1.054, FG: 1.014, IBU: 20, SRM: 10, ABV: 5.2%

Skol!

I've got a partial extract recipe for a raspberry wheat that is copied below. I also plan on doing a raspberry ale this summer. I'll keep an eye out for the recipe.

Raspberry Wheat

Grain: 1# Light Wheat Grain

Malt Extract: 3# Muntons Wheat Extract
1# Extra Light Dry Malt
1# Wheat Dry Malt

Hops: 1 oz Czech Saaz (Boiling Hops)
1 oz Tettnang (Boiling Hops)

Yeast: White Labs Australia Ale Yeast

4 oz Raspberry Flavor

Brewing:
Put 1 ½ gallons of cold water in brew kettle. Bring temp to 170 degrees. Place grains in muslin bag, tie, and steep for 15 minutes. Sparge with ½ gallon of 170 degree water and discard grains.

Bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and add malt extracts. Stir completely until dissolved. Bring back to boil being careful to avoid boilover. When boil commences add hops and boil 45 minutes.

Cool Wort. Add 2 gallons cold water to bucket. Add wort. Top off to 5 gallons. Aerate and pitch yeast. Stir and cover for 7 days. Rack in Carboy for another 7 days.

Transfer to keg and add Raspberry Flavor as you are filling the keg. Condition and serve.

SBN said:
>
>Extract:
>
>Steep the specialty grains (crystal, caraveinne, special b) at 150° for 30 minutes and add 6 lbs of wheat DME (wheat DME is already 45% wheat, 55% barley so the percentage would be right there). Use the same hop schedule and yeast.
>
>Add 2 tbsp of McCormick natural raspberry extract at bottling.
>
>OG: 1.054, FG: 1.014, IBU: 20, SRM: 10, ABV: 5.2%

Sounds delicious, but I have a few questions:

How prominent is the raspberry in the palate? If you're kegging it, do you add the extract when you siphon into the keg? If you can't find McCormick natural extract, is there a substitute?

Thanks so much!
BREW ON:mug:

Actually, I added 2 tbsp at bottling, when I do it again I would likely add just 1.5, mine's been in the bottle for about 3 weeks and it's mellowing, but the berry flavor is still pretty Bright (as SWMBO puts it..) I suppose another brand of extract would work, but McMormick's is pretty popular - I saw the stuff at four stores and just waited until one went on sale!

The last fruitbeer beer I tried to make was a cranberry ale that turned out to be an absolute disaster...called for 6lbs of cranberries, cooked in a corn sugar solution and added to the secondary. A tertiary was also recommended clearing. It smelled great when I bottled it, but ended up being sludge when I tried to drink it. So, there's no shame in using flavor extracts?

Any hardcore purists out there who've had a lot of success using whole fruits?

BREW ON:mug:

im doing a raspberry wheat right now.. im planning on putting the fruit in the secondary.. in a bag of course.. how much raspberries?? for a 5 gallon batch?

Back