Reusing Yeast Cake Multiple Times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantastical

Reaction score
I was just thinking about racking onto a yeast cakes as I just reused a Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan cake for a last batch before the hefe season ends (at least up here).

Anyway... Then I thought about re-racking onto a second yeast cake and wondered if anyone has ever attempted it and what the results were.

Anyone?

Matt

Fantastical said:
I was just thinking about racking onto a yeast cakes as I just reused a Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan cake for a last batch before the hefe season ends (at least up here).

Anyway... Then I thought about re-racking onto a second yeast cake and wondered if anyone has ever attempted it and what the results were.

Anyone?

Matt

One yeast cake will have waaaay more yeast than you need, so I'm not sure why you'd double the overkill (assuming I understand your post and you mean 1batch on two cakes in a series). I'd expect a disappointing drop in yeast flavor from the over pitched 1st cake and nothing from the second since the fermentables will likely be fully consumed in the first go-round.

I have re used yeast cake up to 3 times, same bucket and everything with good results, just make sure you're sanitary.

Back